Indigenous Peoples’ Day declared Oct. 9

Joseph Cress
Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

At Tuesday’s City Council meeting, Iowa City Mayor Jim Throgmorton signed a proclamation declaring Oct. 9 as Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

The proclamation states that Iowa City realizes this town is built on the homelands and villages of Indigenous people of the region, and the city should work towards opposing the systemic racism towards those in the Indigenous community.

“The City strongly supports the proposition that Indigenous Peoples’ Day shall be an opportunity to celebrate the thriving cultures and values of the Indigenous Peoples of the region,” Throgmorton read from the proclamation.

Native American students were present during the signing of the proclamation, including Xiomara Santana, president of the Native American Student Association at the UI.

“Thank you to the Iowa City Council and those involved in Indigenous Peoples’ Day in Iowa City,” Santana said. “To have Iowa City declare Indigenous Peoples’ Day, to me, it means we are celebrating the indigenous culture that continues to thrive all over the world.”

Jessica Owens, vice president of Native American Student Association, was also present at Tuesday’s City Council meeting and echoed Santana’s sentiment.

“I just wanted to acknowledge all of the hard work and all of the people who put this together and made this happen; I think it’s truly tremendous,” Owens said.

— Charles Peckman