Men’s golf finishes 9th in Dallas

The Iowa men’s golf team finished ninth in their third tournament in three weeks.
Alex Schaake putts during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

By Sean Bock

The Iowa men’s golf team shot a 3-over 287 in the final round of the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas and finished ninth.

Sophomore Benton Weinberg shot a 2-under, and junior Matthew Walker was 2-over on the third day; they tied for 24th.

Sophomore Alex Schaake carded a 74, putting him in a tie for 42nd, and sophomore Ryoto Furuya scored an even-par, improving his score from the first two days and finishing tied for 55th.

No. 10 Florida was incredible on the final day; the Gators shot 9-under and finished 10 strokes ahead of No. 13 Auburn, which took second place.

“We struggled through a stretch of holes this morning that we played well the first two rounds,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We got out of position and compounded mistakes. Benton played another great round today. He’s growing in confidence with each tournament. We can take some positives from this week. We were able to go head-to-head with some of the country’s best teams. We need to work and continue to narrow that gap.”

The Hawkeyes will return to action Oct. 8-9 at the Windon Memorial in Chicago, hosted by Northwestern. The two-day competition runs all day on both days.