Guest opinion: Understanding Trump’s ardent supporters

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
A rally protester and Trump supporter embrace outside the U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids for a Trump Rally on Wednesday, June 21. Before President Trump arrived, the venue reached capacity, leaving rally members, outside in the rain. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

President Donald Trump’s 33 percent approval was the lowest six-month rating of any American president.  But Trump’s loyal followers continue to support and defend every one of his tweets, documented false statements, broken campaign promises, unorthodox personal and presidential behavior, and hiring decisions.

Who are Trump’s ardent supporters?  Research clearly indicates Trump’s core base believe in authoritarianism and are populists.

Authoritarianism is a personality trait that seeks order and control, dislikes outsiders (e.g., non-English speaking population, immigrants, non-fundamentalist Christians, etc.) and values strict child-rearing practices.  Populists exhibit a deep mistrust of white-collar workers and any group that claims expertise (e.g., media, political elites, lawyers, political commentators, etc.).

Besides authoritarianism and populist traits, research also reveals Trump die-hard supporters are less formally educated than the average voter, less likely to gather and analyze their own facts, unwilling to consider other points of view, poorer than the average citizen, have a sense of powerlessness (e.g., worried about stories of Muslim terrorists disguised as Syrian refugees entering America, jihad allegedly being declared on working Americans, etc.) and are terrified about the rising Latino, Asian-Pacific Islander and black population while white population decreases.

Since the rise of Nazi Germany, authoritarianism has been one of the most widely studied concepts in social science.  Authoritarians respond aggressively to outsiders and truly believe building a wall, closing mosques, limiting LGBTQ rights, restricting trade with foreign countries, and having strict voter ID will “make American great again.”

RELATED: Trump’s trans ban draws rebuke

Authoritarians and populists love it when Trump scorns mainstream media, calling them “the opposition party” and “enemies of the American people.”  Trump’s ardent supporters cheered when Trump gave press credentials to Gateway Pundit, InfoWars, and alt-right Breitbart News.

Trump’s disregard for the rule of law (i.e., Domestic and Foreign Emoluments Clauses), challenging the independence of America’s three branches of government, lack of respect for constitutional order by trying to keep Muslims out of the USA, establishing a voter fraud commission as a solution in search of a problem, belittling Republican and Democrat legislators who oppose his thoughts, etc., perfectly portrays him as the new law and order sheriff in town that authoritarian and populists love — to a fault.

Knowing characteristics of Trump’s base may help you understand the vocal minority of America’s citizenry.  When you hear the Heritage Foundation, Tea Party Patriots, Fox News’ Sean Hannity, Family Research Council, Home School Legal Defense Association, Liberty University, Minuteman Project, Family Research Council, American Conservative Union, The Crusader, The National Enquirer, KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, David Duke, Grover Norquist, Kellyanne Conway, and Stephen Miller wanting to bar transgender people from the military, urging police not to be “too nice” in making arrests, confronting civil rights advocacy groups, taking resources away from universities because their affirmative action policies discriminate against whites, to name a few, you’ll know they are among Trump’s 33 percent authoritarians and populists.

Meanwhile, two-thirds of Americans shake their head in bewilderment and disbelief at Trump’s loyalists.  Whether you agree or disagree with the authoritarians and populists, the words of American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift ring true: “We don’t need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful.”

Steve Corbin

Professor Emeritus of Marketing,

University of Northern Iowa

RELATED: Local Trump backers show unwavering support