Weinberg’s day leads Iowa men’s golf

A big day by Benton Weinberg has Iowa in a tight race heading into the final day of competition at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas Texas.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa’s Benton Weinberg stands on the green during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s golf team made progress on the second day of Trinity Forest Invitational, moving into 9th place in the 13-team field.

The Hawkeyes shot 286 (2-over) on the par 71 course in the second round and have a 36-hole score of 576 (8-over).

Benton Weinberg had himself a day, tying his 18-hole career-high score of 69 after shooting 6-over in the first round.

RELATED: Men’s golf bounces back, finishes second at Cedar Rapids

Matthew Walker is still the lead for Iowa after tallying a 1-over round on Monday, which puts him even for the tournament, tied for 15th place.

On Sept. 24, Walker shot 1-under to give him a tie for 14th heading into Monday.

Alex Schaake followed, shooting 1-over to match his score from Sunday, and he is now at 2-over going into the final round. He’s tied for 26th.

Sam Meuret and Weinberg sit at 4-over, tied for 47th, and Ryoto Furuya is tied for 62nd at 9-over at the conclusion of the second day.

Weinberg jumped 20 spots to tie with Meuret.

Florida and Auburn share the lead at 8-under, and North Texas is in third place by 4 strokes.