Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, speaks during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU, a protest was held outside in Hubbard Park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Joni Ernst visits University of Iowa campus for town hall meeting

A sign welcomes guests during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

People stand to welcome Sen. Joni Ernst during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A staffer reads off names to ask questions during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
University of Iowa police escort a protestor during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
UISG Director of Communications Logan Pillard listens on during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A sign marks a section of reserved seating ahead of the stage during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Crowd members hold signs in disapproval during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, speaks during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Hawkeyes for DREAM Iowa's Emiliano Martinez shouts from the crowd during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A crowd member leaves midway through the town hall while chanting with others that they had had enough during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Crowd members leave in protest midway through a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A woman holds a sign near the stage during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
UI Associate Professor and Student Publications Incorporated board member John Logsdon walks back to his seat after asking a question during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A woman shouts during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A person holds up a sign during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, shakes hands with a constituent during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, speaks with members of the media during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Community members speaks during a protest outside the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A volunteer crouches during a protest outside the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A 100 Grannies member attends a protest during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
An American flag waves in the wind during a protest outside the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)