Iowa Men’s golf heads to Texas

Iowa’s Alex Schaake drives during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s golf team will try to top its second-place performance at the Golfweek Conference Challenge when it travels down to Dallas this weekend to compete in the Trinity Forest Invitational.

The challenge will run from Sept. 24-26.

The tournament will take place at the Trinity Forest Golf Club, which was built in 2016 and is the home of the PGA Tour AT&T Byron Nelson Classic.

The course is par-71, 7,302 yards.

With a beautiful course comes fierce competition, and this will be the Hawkeyes’ toughest tournament yet.

The field features 13 top-tier programs with eight ranked teams: Pepperdine, Oregon, USC, Auburn, Florida, Clemson, Texas, and Texas Tech.

RELATED: Men’s golf bounces back, finishes second at Cedar Rapids

“Last week wasn’t great for us, and to play well [in Cedar Rapids] going into Dallas, a really tough course, and putting up five good scores this week — it’s a good sign for us,” freshman Alex Schaake said. “If we can keep this momentum going into next week, I think we’ll be fine.”

Iowa held the lead with nine holes left in Cedar Rapids but couldn’t hang on, eventually falling to N.C. State by 4 strokes.

Schaake paced the Hawkeyes, shooting 8-under over the three days, while sophomore Ryoto Furuya shot 2-under on the last day, which was good for 12th place.

Sam Meuret and Matthew Walker tied for 16th, and Brenton Weinberg finished at 30th.

Though they didn’t come away with the win, the second-place finish this week is a confidence builder for the Hawkeyes.