By the numbers: Penn State

Iowa defensive linebacker Josey Jewell stares down Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley during the Iowa-Penn State game in Beaver Stadium in College State on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. The Nittany Lions defeated the Hawkeyes, 41-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Through the first three games, Penn State’s offense has shown itself to be the Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley Show.

The Nittany Lions, now 3-0, have had an impressive showing in their nonconference season, blowing out Akron, Pittsburgh, and Georgia State with scores of 52-0, 33-14, and 56-0.

This success can be largely credited to McSorley and Barkley, who have combined to be a part of 14 of Penn State’s scores — Barkley with 3 on the ground and 2 through the air, while McSorley has rushed for 2 touchdowns and thrown for 9.

Though those two have been the stars, the defense deserves plenty of credit, too — Penn State’s opponents average just 4.7 points a game.

Penn State has shown to be solid all around, so here’s a look at the team, by the numbers:

Turnover margin average: 2.33

The Nittany Lions sit at No. 2 in the NCAA when it comes to turnovers.

Having given up just 2 — both interceptions by McSorley, the defense has had a heyday when it comes to taking the ball away from the opposing team.

Penn State has intercepted 6 passes so far this season and picked up 3 fumbles.

The team will head into Iowa with momentum from those turnovers, seeing as 5 of its 9 came in the most recent game against Georgia State. Tariq Castro-Fields, Grant Haley, and Marcus Allen all had an interception in the game. Allen returned his for 50 yards, putting Penn State in scoring position at the Georgia State 25-yard line. The team promptly went up 35-0.

When it comes to the Big Ten, no other teams come close in turnover margin. Maryland sits second with a margin percentage of 1.5, and Minnesota is at 1.33. Iowa, on the other hand, has a turnover margin average of -1.

Average offense per game: 469.0 yards

Incredibly Penn State is ranked just No. 4 in the Big Ten when it comes to total offense per game, even though the team has put up large numbers so far this season.

Ahead of the Lions sit Wisconsin (511.0), Ohio State (510.7), and Maryland (508.0).

Though not completely even, Penn State’s offense has done a good job of distributing the ball through the first three games. McSorley has completed passes to 10 receivers, and seven Lions have rushed the ball.

However, a majority of these yards have, in fact, come from the stars of the show.

Barkley is averaging 102.3 rushing yards and 80.3 receiving yards per game on top of the 35.7 he has a game on kick returns, while McSorley is throwing for 251 yards a game and has added 45.7 on the ground per game.

Opponents’ first down per game: 19.0

Even though Penn State has only given up 14 points so far this season, it sits in the middle of the pack of the Big Ten when it comes to first downs given up.

Oddly enough, the Nittany Lions also average 19.0 first downs per game, evening the playing field with their opponents.