Reed, UI vice president for Research and Economic Development, plans to step down

Vladimir Kulikov

Dan Reed, the University of Iowa vice president for Research and Economic Development, will step down from the position this fall, the UI announced Thursday.

Reed will leave because of a recent health event, UI President Bruce Harreld said in the announcement.

He thanked Reed for his counsel and for the knowledge that he has brought to the university since being named to the position in 2012.

“Dan brought a wealth of knowledge, skill, and passion to the position, making it his mission to highlight and expand the tremendous work of our research community,” Harreld said. “I’ve appreciated his keen intellect and curiosity, as well as his wise counsel. On behalf of the university, I thank him for his dedicated service, and I look forward to his future contributions.”

In addition to his time at the UI, Reed was a former corporate vice president and technology policy leader at Microsoft, founding director of the North Carolina Renaissance Computing Institute, and department head and director of the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois.

The announcement said Reed plans to to focus his time and energy on national research and competitiveness policy and on developing new directions in computer and computational science.

Harreld said he will consult with the UI’s academic leadership team and members of shared governance to soon select an interim vice president for Research and Economic Development.

— by Elianna Novitch