UI issues Hawk Alert for gas leak near Burge

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Construction crews and Mid American Energy workers look into a gas leak outside of Burge Residence hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017. A Hawk Alert was sent out at 9:35 a.m. warning the community to stay away from the area. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The University of Iowa issued a Hawk Alert to the community warning of a gas leak near Burge Residence Hall. The alert, sent at 9:35 a.m., warns the community to avoid the area.

“They hit a gas line — a 2-inch gas line. We’re just urging everyone to stay out of this area,” UI police Lt. Joe Lang said. “We’re blocking it off so that they can get the line capped off and reattached. Other than that, there’s really no danger. We’re just trying to keep people out of the area to keep them safe.”

Lang said that nothing has been affected by the leak.

“They’re talking maybe within an hour to be able to locate where they need to cut it off and cap it up. Anyway, nobody’s really in any danger,” he said. “It’s just all up to them now in trying to find the right place to cut the line and seal it up so that they can stop the gas leak.”

The Hawk Alert has been taken down on the UI emergency page.

Construction crews and MidAmerican Energy workers look into a gas leak outside Burge Residence Hall on Sept. 20, 2017. A Hawk Alert was sent out at 9:35 a.m. warning the community to stay away from the area. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)