Iowa men’s and women’s golf in action 

The men\’s golf team sits in second heading into the final day while the women\’s team has some catching up to do.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa’s Sam Meuret follows through a swing during the Hawkeye Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Sunday, April 16, 2017. The Hawkeyes finished second, behind Texas Tech, in the tournament after three rounds scoring 859 (-5; 289, 285, 285). (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

After 36 holes at the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship, the Iowa women’s golf team sits in 12th place. The Hawkeyes shot a round total of 599 (31-over).

Seven teams ahead of Iowa are in top 50 Golfstat Relative Rankings, and four are in the top 30 — No. 30 Tennessee, No. 14 Kent State, No. 29 Wake Forest, and No. 26 NC State.

RELATED: Women’s golf confident heading to Tennessee

Senior Shawn Rennegarbe leads the Hawkeyes after shooting a 72 in the first round and a 75 in the second. Her performance on the day matched a 36-hole career-high of 147 (5-over).

Rennegarbe is tied for 35th along with junior Kristin Glesne. Jessica Ip is currently tied for 63rd, Elisa Suarez tied at 69th, and Morgan Kukla at 71st.

“It was not the team performance that we were hoping for today, but we are looking forward to a strong final round tomorrow,” head coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “We have a lot of different players playing well and doing some good things.”

The third round will begin today at 8 a.m. with a shotgun start.

Meanwhile, the Iowa men’s golf team sits in second place after the second day of the Golfweek Conference Championship.

The Hawkeyes shot a 6-under on the day (282), which puts them at 11-under (565) for the tournament.

Senior Sam Meuret shot a 69 (3-under) in the second round to help Iowa maintain their spot in second.

“I felt like I was struggling to get going, so the eagle was a great jump-start to my round,” Meuret said in a release. “It’s always a good feeling to help the team out with a good round, especially when we’re in a good position. I did a good job today of keeping the ball in front of me and avoiding any tricky shots. I tried to make it as easy on myself as I could.”

Alex Schaake is tied for sixth to lead the Hawkeyes, while Matthew Walker and Ryoto Furuya are tied for 11th. Meuret follows tied for 16th, and Benton Weinberg is in 46th.

“We worked hard today and managed to close the gap in front of us. I’m very happy for Sam,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We needed him today, and he stepped up in a big way. We are just going to play our game tomorrow. We have to be committed and play with confidence.”

Round three will begin at 9 a.m. today for the Hawkeyes; they will be paired with N.C. State and San Francisco.