Iowa players celebrate with the Cy-Hawk trophy during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones, 44-41, in overtime. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Hawkeyes top Cyclones in overtime classic

By Carter Melrose | carter-melrose@uiowa.edu

AMES — A classic display of football rivalry filled Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 9 in the 2017 Cy-Hawk game. Back and forth the bitter archrivals scrapped, using plays that either went for 20-plus yards or zero; there were not many that fell in between. In a game that required overtime, 9 passing touchdowns were showcased, and the Hawkeyes escaped with a 44-41 victory.

“Every year, there’s a lot of hype to talk about this game,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. “Today, this game lived up to all that hype.”

In overtime, Iowa held Iowa State to field goal. Then, in came sophomore quarterback Nate Stanley in his second career start, in front of 61,000 fans, staring down a sea of red.

“Last week, I don’t know if you noticed, he looked tight at times,” Ferentz said afterward and chuckled.

The pressure didn’t faze him; he heaved a bullet to Ihmir Smith-Marsette for the game-sealing touchdown.

“It was a play we ran all week in practice; we just came out and executed it,” Stanley said.

A team finally started to pull away in the third quarter, but it was not the Hawkeyes. Iowa State, fueled by the ever-enthusiastic crowd, scored 21 unanswered points and went up 31-21. Iowa State quarterback Jacob Park discovered swagger, and unlike earlier in the contest, his giant wide receivers caught nearly every ball thrown their way.

It was a tough outing for Iowa’s secondary.

“We just had to keep fighting,” Hawkeye DB Josh Jackson said. “You have to rely on your teammates.”

The epitome of this narrative came when Park threw a high pass between the safeties, and wide receiver Matthew Eaton took a bombshell of a hit from Iowa’s Jake Gervase but secured the catch.

Though down by 10 points with around 11 minutes to play, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz did not panic. He stuck to the tried-and-true game plan: give the football to Akrum Wadley. Setting Wadley up on screen passes, dives up the middle, and sweeps to the weak side, Iowa drove down the field and responded quickly with a Smith-Marsette 15-yard touchdown catch.

“There were a couple calls he made that I would have second-guessed, except they worked,” Kirk Ferentz said about his offensive coordinator.

Moments later, Parker Hesse intercepted a poorly placed Park pass at the line of scrimmage. The Hawkeyes then tied the game at 31 with five minutes to go, promising a finish that could reinvigorate the Cy-Hawk Series.

Maybe the sheer amount of chunk yardage given up didn’t sink Iowa, but Hakeem Butler’s 74-yard touchdown catch sure seemed like a lethal blow. Butler’s double-move on the touchdown play was so precisely executed that when he finally caught the ball, there was not a Hawkeye closer than 5 yards.

On the final drive of regulation for the Hawkeyes, Wadley took a routine crossing route for a 46-yard touchdown through, around, and between defenders on a highlight-filled, ankle-breaking journey. It proved again how important Wadley is to the young Iowa offense, and it sent the game into overtime.

“You saw the game last week where the defense bailed us out,” Wadley said. “Now, we bailed the defense out; it’s a team thing.”

The Iowa corn mascot suits up before the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

A cheerleader is seen during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

A military member is recognized after the National Anthem at the Cy-Hawk game in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes prepare to storm the field during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Anthony Nelson (98) and Barrington Wade (35) walk onto the field during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa kicker Miguel Recinos kicks a PAT during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa fullback Drake Kulick catches a sideline pass during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa linebacker Jose Jewell (43) tackles Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler (18) during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa defensive lineman Matt Nelson is seen on the line of scrimmage during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler celebrates a touchdown during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

An Iowa State fan celebrates in the student section of Jack Trice Stadium during the Cy-Hawk game on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa defensive line attempts to block a PAT by Iowa State during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Fans cheer and hold up an Iowa State flag during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Jake Gervase (30), Joshua Jackson (15), and Michael Ojemudia (11) run off the field during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa running back Akrum Wadley fields a block during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa and Iowa State linemen block each other during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa State marching band members take to the field during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)e

Iowa quarterbacks coach Ken O'Keefe talks with players during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A member of the Iowa marching band cheers after a touchdown during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa quarterback Nathan Stanley narrowly avoids a block from Iowa State linebacker Willie Harvey during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa running back Akrum Wadley breaks a tackle during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa running back Akrum Wadley runs into the end zone during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa defensive back Michael Ojemudia breaks up a pass to Allen Lazard in the end zone during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa running back James Butler takes a handoff during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's James Butler is tackled by Iowa State defensive players during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa quarterback Nathan Stanley throws a pass during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Ihmir Smith-Marsette avoids tackles during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.  (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa linebacker Ben Niemann cools off on the sideline during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa cheerleaders and band members cheer from the stands during the Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette makes a diving catch in the end zone during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa cheerleaders run with flags after a touchdown during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa players celebrate after the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa players celebrate with the Cy-Hawk trophy during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa quarterback Nathan Stanley shakes hands with Iowa States' Willie Harvey during the Iowa/Iowa State game for the Cy-Hawk trophy in Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)