Guest Opinion: Young and old, we are all one family

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James
Hawkeyes for DREAM Iowa President Emiliano Martinez speaks before a crowd of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals supporters at the Old Capitol Building on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017. The recent decision regarding the decision to rescind DACA has been a highly controversial issue in national politics. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

DREAM Iowa advocates for immigrants’ pathway to United States citizenship.

DACA was the product that resulted from the efforts in support of the DREAM Act. The government then found it charismatic that young undocumented immigrants were forming a voice that echoed nationwide. We were united around the idea that we crossed the border into the USA “at no fault of our own.” This idea is founded upon division in the nucleus of the immigrant family.

DREAM Iowa supports an intelligent immigration bill that backs immigrant families as well as U.S. communities, farmers, industry, business, commerce, and government. Currently, legality is denied to immigrant families despite our efforts to strive for harmony. However, when we mingle with people with human consciousness and common sense, we find our legitimacy through our contributions. Around rural Iowa, many immigrant families receive protection from farmers who, regardless of political affiliation, enjoy the values, work ethic, and traditions rooted in the unity and resilience of immigrant families. The result of this agreement is highly productive enterprises. A common deep understanding lies in the heart of the relationship between the owner and the contractor. Protection in exchange of quality work, you may say. People are searching for the meaning of the “American principles.”

Many farmers in Iowa have successfully developed governance systems inside the farm using human and economic principles that need to be applied in a modern society at the national level of the United States of America. We are asking for more than an amnesty. After the Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986, more than 4 million undocumented immigrants received a pathway to citizenship. At the same time, this act made it extremely difficult for businesses to hire new immigrant workers. Immigrant families arrive in areas in demand for labor. Understanding the nature and the behavior of the immigrant family means to have an understanding of the opportunities of globalization. In order for the United States of America to maintain its position of global power, our immigration system needs elasticity and efficiency.

All of our immigrant families need a pathway to citizenship now. We have sworn allegiance to this country ever since we arrived. Old and young, we want our pathway to citizenship now. We demand an intelligent government that keeps the door open for new immigrant families. We need a government that issues new immigrant families entering the U.S. labor force Social Security numbers and/or work visas immediately upon arrival.

As soon as we check in the box that says “Work,” we should be granted permission to reside in peace. We need a government that is flexible in issuing travel and business visas to those who come to visit relatives or form partnerships. Visitors come to this country to spend their savings. Business people come to this country to invest their savings. Immigrant working families come to this country to generate savings. We need a government that values the beauty of a transparent society and a dynamic economy. There is no guarantee a new immigrant family is going to like it here. We should make the United States of America a place in which immigrant families are drawn to. Government benefits from new immigrant families and visitors “checking in.” There is no reason to change our name or to call us illegals. We can earn our own citizenship with our actions and contributions. We don’t need giveaways or born rights. Today, we demand intelligent reform and a pathway to citizenship to all working immigrant families. Young and old, we are all one family.

MĂłnica Reyes,
Lead Activist / Iowa
DREAM Leader