Father of two dies from injuries sustained from Ped Mall shooting

One of the victims of last weekend’s Ped Mall shooting died, leaving behind a family and unborn child.
Kaleek Asham Douglas Jones (gayandciha.com)

Sarah Watson

Kaleek Asham Douglas Jones, who died of wounds sustained from the Aug. 27 Pedestrian Mall shooting, had a family and an unborn child.

Jones, 22, was a man whose “loyalty and dedication to his family never went unnoticed,” his obituary stated. “Vari and Lilla, his children, were the apples of his eye. As a Daddy, he did it all: bottles, diapers, and playing ‘Mr. Frog.’ Kaleek had a gift with children, and they loved him.” 

Family members grieving their loss declined to comment during this difficult time. Jones leaves behind fiancée Alyssa and three children: DaVari, Lillianna, and an unborn child according to his obituary. 

Jones lived in Iowa City since he was 7, and graduated from City High. 

“Kaleek was a very nice young man with great enthusiasm for life,” City High Principal John Bacon said in a statement to The Daily Iowan. “His friends and teachers cared for him very much.” 

Community member Sara Barron set up a GoFundMe page to help the Jones’ family pay for hospital and funeral expenses. As of Monday, the page had raised $3,200 with a goal of $10,000.

RELATED: One victim dead after Ped Mall shooting

“Thank you to the community that is joining together in honor of Kaleek’s life, and in loving support of all those grieving the loss of their Leek,” the page said. 

He was the host of family gatherings and known as the “grill master.” Jones was planning to go back to school and open up his own restaurant alongside family members, according to his obituary. 

Services for Jones will be held Friday at River Community Church in Iowa City. A visitation will begin at 10 a.m. followed by a funeral service at noon. 

“Everyone knew Kaleek, loved him for Kaleek. He was real, loyal and unwavering on his journey in life,” his obituary said. “His experiences during life will be the moments and treasured memories we will all cherish … Most of all, his love for life and his family. Kaleek made everyone and everything a little better simply by sharing his love and spirit.”

Jones was one of three gunshot victims injured in the shooting, which occurred at about 1:30 a.m. Aug. 27. All three were transported to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics; the other two victims are in stable condition.

The alleged shooter, Lamar Cheyenne Wilson, 21, of Iowa City was initially charged with three counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon, a news release said. Since Jones’ death, that charge was upped to first-degree murder.