Downtown District discusses impact of public art

Iowa City community mebers listen to some upcoming public art projects at Merge collective workspace, Wednesday, Aug. 30 2017. The Iowa City Downtown district hosted the event to gather input from the community on possible art projects through the district. (Paxton Corey/The Daily Iowan)

Paxton Corey

Paxton Corey

Brooklyn Draisey, [email protected]

By Brooklyn Draisey

The Iowa City Downtown District met Wednesday at MERGE to discuss public art downtown with local artists, property owners, and people who want to see a revamping of the downtown façade.

Newly appointed Director of Public Art Thomas Agran showed examples of different murals and public-art pieces that could be emulated downtown — especially in alleys, where less-than-desirable activities might take place.

“What are the problems, and how can artists address them? Turning liabilities into assets and using an artist as a problem solver is what this is a placeholder for,” Agran said in describing a light-up mural in Philadelphia he displayed at the meeting.

The Iowa City Arts Commission has worked with the Downtown District on past projects, including the Welcome to Downtown Iowa City mural, construction decoration, and the mural at the Farmers’ Market, said Marcia Bollinger, the head of the Arts Commission.

RELATED: Downtown District finds art director

There was also discussion of different murals that could be placed on the many blank walls downtown. Locations such as the parking ramp and US Bank were mentioned by community members as needing a new coat of paint, and ideas were tossed around of how to liven up the spaces.

“They see the murals as a way of inviting people in,” Bollinger said.

While the project is still in its first stages, it has garnered a lot of enthusiasm from the community.

“Just having this meeting brings the business people and the artists, it brings them together and builds the community that way, so even if this right here is the base point for other ideas, I think that’s fantastic,” local artist Rachel Cobler said.

There were many different groups represented at the meeting, and each contributed feedback and ideas on how to make it easier to create art downtown.

Proposals such as interactive art pieces that allow people to charge their devices with solar power were suggested as a way to bring both creativity and functionality into the community. Walls or parks set aside for graffiti and other public art would allow locals to express themselves without defacing public property, which would save the city and property owners money.

RELATED: Temporary art installation heads to Pedestrian Mall

While plenty of ideas were discussed and fleshed out in the meeting, Agran said there was no way that the entire project could be figured out in one day.

“These conversations are big and long, and there is no way to get everything in,” he said.

Even though the project is still working out its kinks, many feel that it’s a great first step.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor
Brooklyn Draisey is one of the News Editors of the DI. She started out at the DI her freshmen year as a News Reporter, where she wrote about a variety of topics. Comments comments
  • Downtown District discusses impact of public art

‘Stay off the arches,’ Iowa City says of Park Road Bridge

Iowa City promotes first female police captain

Third Cactus Mexican restaurant to open downtown

Pentacrest Garden developers push for additional height on their buildings

Iowa City City Hall seeks art for renovated lobby

Four women-owned businesses set up shop in central Iowa City

Inside the Rise: What these new apartments offer Iowa City’s students

Campus construction could cause delays at Hawkeye football games

Uptown Bill’s, a community for all abilities, in danger of closing

Nonprofit seeks to make athletics more comfortable for girls who wear hijabs