(file/The Daily Iowan)

Police briefs

Man faces burglary charge

Authorities have accused an Iowa City man of forcing his way into another person’s residence.

Anthony Williams, 47, 1205 Laura Drive, was charged Aug. 25 with first-degree burglary.

According to the arrest affidavit, officers were called to a residence in response to a burglary. Once arriving at the trailer, the affidavit said, the juvenile victim told officers Williams came to his home and pounded on the windows and doors, wanting the victim to answer the door. When the victim opened the door, the affidavit said, Williams shot paintballs from an automatic paintball gun and then seized the victim’s clothes. Officers saw paint inside the victim’s trailer and on the door, the affidavit said.

Once Williams began shooting, the affidavit said, the victim said he went onto his couch while Williams entered the trailer and continued shooting. Williams then left, the affidavit said, telling the victim to “stay out of my trailer.” The victim has several bruises from the incident, the affidavit said.

When Williams was contacted, the affidavit said, he admitted to going into the victim’s residence and shooting paintballs at him. Williams did so, the affidavit said, because he said he thought the victim had trespassed on his property, and Williams wanted to get back at the victim. Williams did deny entering the victim’s trailer, the affidavit said.

First-degree burglary is a Class-B felony.

— by Kayli Reese

CR man charged with forgery

Authorities have accused a Cedar Rapids man of bring to cash forged check.

Steven Smith, 36, was charged Aug. 18 with forgery.

According to an arrest affidavit, Smith was called in to MidWestOne Bank because employees believed he may have been trying to cash a forged check. When asked, the affidavit said, Smith said he did some construction work for the company listed on the check and was given the check by another employee of the company. Upon further questioning, the affidavit said, Smith was unable to say who the company was or what specific type of job he did for them.

The paycheck was written for the amount of $1,844.22 on Aug. 16, the affidavit said, and the company listed on the check was Autumn Park Apartments — Iowa City Rental Account: Midstates Development Inc. Once the company was contacted, the affidavit said, the company said it had not written a check on Aug. 16, the check number on the paycheck was not valid, and they had never heard of Smith.

Forgery is a Class-D felony.

— Kayli Reese

Man faces theft, burglary charges

Authorities have accused a Center Point, Iowa, man of theft and burglary.

Nathan Brecht, 29, was charged Aug. 19 with first-degree theft and second-degree attempted burglary.

According to the arrest affidavit, an officer was looking for a red Polaris whose the driver was reported to have acted suspiciously. The officer found the vehicle with Brecht sitting in it, the affidavit said, but when the officer turned around to look closer, Brecht has disappeared.

A bit later, the affidavit said, officers received calls about a man trying to get into people’s cars. Brecht was then found and identified by witnesses in Solon, the affidavit said; he had tried to break into someone’s residence. At the time of the attempted burglary, the affidavit said, the house’s resident was there, and Brecht fled when confronted.

When approached by officers, the affidavit said, Brecht could not say what he was doing in the area and would only say he was looking for his golf balls. Officers said Brecht was very drunk, the affidavit said, and a half-empty can of beer was found in the Polaris, which was found to have been stolen in Cedar Rapids.

First-degree theft is a Class-C felony, and second-degree attempted burglary is a Class-D felony.

— by Kayli Reese