Laursen: Greek life alcohol ban not the answer

People wait in line to get into the Union bar downtown on April 8. The greek-life alcohol ban has raised some concerns. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Iowa City’s alcohol problem expands beyond UI Fraternities and Sororities.

By Lucee Laursen

On Aug. 4, every member of greek life received an update from the Alcohol Task Force addressing the “alcohol ban.” The update said, “The moratorium on events with alcohol placed on the fraternity and sorority community in May will remain in effect until further notice.” At first glance, placing a moratorium that limits alcohol consumption seems like a great idea. However, this unfairly punishes the members of the fraternity and sorority community. Iowa City’s drinking problem spans far more than greek life, and it needs to be treated as such.

24/7 Wall St. ranked Iowa City as the 19th-drunkest city in America, not a title to brag about. With more than 30 bars in or near the center of town, Uber, a larger-than-life tailgating season, and little to nothing else to do for less money, Iowa City inherently encourages drinking to excess. Every year, more than 6,000 new students step on campus, and more than that, they become a part of the community. The university does a good job introducing new students to the life that exists outside of drinking and bar-hopping, but it’s hard to say that students are not also exposed to the bars advertising “dollar u calls” every Tuesday and Thursday and Happy Hour every day from 4-9 p.m. The drinking culture is a neon sign. All will turn their heads and look.

Some people believe that greek life encourages binge drinking. But as a member of a fraternity or sorority, greek life holds one to a higher standard academically and socially. Each chapter has a minimum GPA requirement. There is even a friendly competition among the chapters that encourages everyone to strive for academic greatness.

Each member of a fraternity or sorority must also volunteer for at least four hours a semester. In 2016, members of fraternities and sororities volunteered for more than 47,000 hours.

RELATED: Alcohol ban remains in greek community

In no way am I trying to say that members of greek life are perfect. Rather, I am attempting to paint a more accurate picture of what it is like to be a part of a chapter on this campus. We hold ourselves to a higher standard because we know that we are not only representing ourselves but also our chapters. Greek life is a way to hold students responsible; it is a home away from home that allows students to feel like they have people they need to be accountable to.

It is no secret that greek life has had alcoholic socials. For example, two chapters will gather for a theme party at a local bar to socialize with one another, and if members are of age, they are permitted to consume alcohol. Each social must have six sober monitors, three from each chapter in attendance. These socials also end at 10 p.m., and those who are under 21 leave the bar at or before that time.

Yes, these events have alcohol at them, but there are many precautions taken to ensure the safety of the attendees. However, the alcohol ban prohibits these events from happening — and precautions from being taken. What needs to happen is a cultural change; students, faculty, and members of the Iowa City community together must become more educated about alcohol consumption.

The response is critical; discouraging greek life from holding alcoholic events will not solve this issue. We must come together as a community, not just greek life, not just the students at the UI, but Iowa City itself. We must change the norm; binge drinking can no longer be socially acceptable. It has claimed too many lives already. It stops now.

Editor’s note: The author of this column is a member of the Iowa greek community.