New UI students saddle up

New students attend the Convocation on the Pentacrest on Sunday. In 2016, the incoming class consisted of 5,643 incoming new first-year students. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

After a week filled with a flurry of activities, Sunday afternoon wrapped up the last of the On Iowa events as the Class of 2021 sat on the Pentacrest lawn for the convocation.

The convocation opened with UI Student Government President Jacob Simpson addressing the incoming students, followed by UI President Bruce Harreld, a representative from the class of 2021, and an interim provost. They welcomed the incoming class as students began their journey into the first semester of their college careers.

Following a performance by a brass band and the ringing of the Old Capitol bell, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Lon Moeller assured all of the students that they had chosen the right school to continue their education. Moeller shared the advice that former UI President Walter Jessup gave to students, saying, “If you want a great university, become a great student.”

RELATED: The big, broad welcome

Moeller also spoke about the meaning of being a Hawkeye, noting that although students congregate here from all over the United States and the world, each student is a Hawkeye. He iterated that as students move forward, this idea holds a great deal of meaning because it creates an equal front for people of all kinds.

Harreld then took the stage to discuss the power of teamwork. While many students attend the UI to get an education, he said, part of the experience while they are here has to do with coming together as one with the faculty, the people of Iowa City, and the city as a whole.

On behalf of the class of 2021, Alexa Wunderlich talked about the stories that all the freshmen are about to write for themselves. Her advice to the freshmen was to say yes to every opportunity.

“You can’t go back and rewrite your story; that is just the truth,” she said.

The ceremony ended as the students received gold tassels to show their commitment to their studies and to their goals and the faculty’s promise to create an environment that allows students to succeed.

As the convocation finished, students made their way to the President’s Residence to enjoy music, the Pep Band, the UI Cheer and Dance Team, and a barbecue.

Freshman Claire Beyer said that the best part of the night was “seeing how involved everyone wanted to be in the school they were joining.”

“[The] Hawkeyes’ awesome school spirit was part of the reason I chose to go to Iowa,” she said.