Ryan Hall speaks during his campaign announcement on the east steps of the Old Capitol building on the Pentacrest on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Hall is a 24 year old student who is campaigning for a seat representing District B on City Council in the upcoming November election. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

UI student Ryan Hall announces City Council candidacy with support of community activists

Mazahir Salih, of the Centers for Workers Justice, speaks with community members before a campaign announcement for Ryan Hall on the east steps of the Old Capitol building on the Pentacrest on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Hall is a 24 year old student who is campaigning for a seat representing District B on City Council in the upcoming November election. Salih is also running for Council. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
City Counselor Rockne Cole (right) introduces Ryan Hall (left) during Hall's campaign announcement on the east steps of the Old Capitol building on the Pentacrest on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Hall is a 24 year old student who is campaigning for a seat representing District B on City Council in the upcoming November election. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
City Counselor Rockne Cole speaks during Ryan Hall's campaign announcement on the east steps of the Old Capitol building on the Pentacrest on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Hall is a 24 year old student who is campaigning for a seat representing District B on City Council in the upcoming November election. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Ryan Hall speaks with members of the media during his campaign announcement on the east steps of the Old Capitol building on the Pentacrest on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017. Hall is a 24 year old student who is campaigning for a seat representing District B on City Council in the upcoming November election. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)