A reporter takes video during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Elizabeth Catlett Hall opening ceremony

Elizabeth Catlett hall is seen during its grand opening ceremony on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A sign on the 12th floor is seen during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A wooden texture meant to signify the currents of the Iowa River is seen in a elevator lobby during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A room thermostat is seen during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Guests look out the 12th floor lounge towards the river during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A mural of artwork and history is seen on the second floor during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Herky the Hawk walks across a row of chairs during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Guests listen on during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Francisco Mora Catlett speaks during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
UI student Fred Cherry speaks during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
University of Iowa VP for student life Melissa Shivers speaks during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
University of Iowa president J. Bruce Harreld stands with the new VP for student life Melissa Shivers during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
University of Iowa president J. Bruce Harreld laughs during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
A pool table is seen in the third floor recreation room during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
The third floor multipurpose room is seen during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Von Stange, the assistant vice president for student life and senior director of University Housing & Dining, speaks during a media tour during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)
Members of the media tour a 12th floor lounge during the grand opening ceremony for Elizabeth Catlett hall on Friday, July 28, 2017. Catlett is the largest residence hall on campus, housing 1,049 students. Elizabeth Catlett was the first African-American woman to graduate from the University of Iowa with a Masters of Fine Arts. The residence hall has its main desk and mail room on the third floor, which is accessible from the T.Anne Cleary Walkway. Another additional entrance is off of Madison Street on the first floor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)