Elizabeth Moen takes center stage at the Indian Creek Nature Center

Elizabeth+Moen+stands+in+her+home+on+July+21%2C+2017.+Moen+is+an+Iowa+City-based+musician+who+has+been+featured+in+festivals+ranging+from+Mission+Creek+to+80%2F35+in+Des+Moines.+She+made+her+start+in+Iowa+City+some+years+ago%2C+and+she+has+previously+worked+at+Short%E2%80%99s%2C+where+she+also+played.+%28Ben+Smith%2FThe+Daily+Iowan%29+
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Elizabeth Moen stands in her home on July 21, 2017. Moen is an Iowa City-based musician who has been featured in festivals ranging from Mission Creek to 80/35 in Des Moines. She made her start in Iowa City some years ago, and she has previously worked at Short’s, where she also played. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Elizabeth Moen will be performing as part of the Concert at the Creek series at the Indian Creek Nature Center.

By Levi Wright

On Saturday, singer/songwriter Elizabeth Moen will perform at the Indian Creek Nature Center, 5300 Otis Road S.E., Cedar Rapids, as part of the  Creek at Indian Creek concert series.

Originally from Vinton, Iowa, Moen grew up listening to R&B and participating in musicals during her high-school years. It wasn’t until her friends persuaded her to take the stage during open-mic night at the Mill that she started singing.

Indian Creek provides a different genre of music each week as part of its summer concerts. The concert takes place outside in the Indian Creek amphitheater, where audience members can experience nature and her performance.

“It’s fun playing inside venues where it’s indoors, but there’s some connection with nature when you’re playing outside that is really cool,” Moen said. “And the acoustics, I’m excited to see what the sound will be like outside. I’m from a small town near Cedar Rapids, so getting to play at these really cool venues, whether they’re newer or older, is cool.”

Originally, she considered music to be just a hobby and pursued a major in French at the University of Iowa with the hopes of becoming an English teacher in France or as a translator.

RELATED: Debuting with a splash

Nine years ago, Moen started playing guitar, and two years ago, she started writing music as well. Her musical style focuses on slow and somber sounds in the folk genre. She started by writing about a breakup and is now branching out to other meaningful relationships outside of her romantic life.

“I think what I’ve been trying to focus on lately is there are so many other relationships in my life that aren’t romantic, so I’ve been trying to focus on songs, in the perspective of friends, or family, or even passersby,” she said.

She is progressing her style to make her music faster with a more upbeat tempo while still having sad themes in the lyrics. Moen draws inspiration from the Shins to create happy-feeling songs that people can have fun with while also staying true to herself.

“Songs I listen to that really hit me the most are when I could tell the songwriter was going through something, and they aren’t leaving anything to the imagination but also a lot to the imagination,” Moen said.

Lindsey Flannery, the marketing and developing manager for Indian Creek, said the concert series goes on for four weekends. There will be two more weekend concerts after Moen’s performance this weekend.

“Our concerts at the Creek series go for four weekends, and our entire goal for the series to bring new people to Indian Creek Nature Center,” Flannery said.