Big Ten Media Days: Highlights from Illinois HC Lovie Smith

Illinois head coach Lovie Smith speaks during the Big Ten Media Days at McCormick Place Convention Center in Chicago on Monday, July 24, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

By Pete Ruden | [email protected]

Illinois head coach Lovie Smith spoke to members of the media at the Big Ten Media Days to discuss the upcoming 2017-2018 season.
  • “What a difference a year makes.” Thinks he knows player roles now.
  • Felt Illinois was behind in terms of facilities. A new facility should “put us on par.” “When you have the latest and the greatest, that has to be a positive.”
  • Chayce Crouch will start at quarterback “Dual athlete, football junkie … A lot of confidence in him going into his first year as a starter.” “There’s a lot of optimism in Champaign based on him.”
  • “We haven’t been competitive enough; we realize that. Our program hasn’t been to a lot of bowl games; we realize that.”
  • “We didn’t win enough football games … Offensively, we have to score more points, simple as that. Defensively, we have to take the ball away.”
  • Said WR Mike Dudek’s speed and strength are back to where they were before injury. “He will give the offense a big boost.”
  • Taking a lot of steps this offseason. Recruiting to elevate talent level, offseason workouts. Feels like he knows his players well now.
  • “We’re excited about the two night games we have as well, against Nebraska and South Florida.”
  • Said the recruiting pipeline in South Florida is very important, but still have to go to other areas. Also interested in gaining ground in Texas.
  • Needs to teach Crouch, who is coming off of an injury, how to slide. “You have to do everything you possibly can to protect yourself.”