Republican heavyweights strongly back Reynolds

As the 2018 gubernatorial-primary season inch closer, Gov. Kim Reynolds welcomes the support of Sens. Joni Ernst and Chuck Grassley. Some of Reynolds’ top campaign issues include business, energy, education, and job training.
Nick Rohlman
FILE – Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds speaks during Joni Ernst’s third annual Roast and Ride event in Boone, Iowa, on Saturday, June 3, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily iowan)

By Madeleine Neal

The support Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds has gained as an incumbent candidate in the 2018 gubernatorial primary should put her at the top of the pack.

“Her policy priorities are creating a competitive business environment, developing the most innovative energy policy in the country, educating our children for the knowledge economy, and training Iowans for the jobs of tomorrow,” said Reynolds’ office in a statement to The Daily Iowan.

During her time as lieutenant governor, Reynolds contributed to the Iowa Partnership for Economic Progress, which focuses on Iowa’s gross state product, the measurement of Iowa’s economic output; the Future Ready Iowa Alliance, which focuses on promoting workforce readiness; the Governor’s STEM Advisory Council, which focuses on developing a stronger science, technology, engineering, and mathematics foundation for Iowans; and the Iowa Energy Plan, which uses previous energy progress to create more economic growth.

RELATED: Reynolds visits UI, talks renewable energy

Reynolds, who served as the 45th lieutenant governor before becoming the state’s first female governor, will run against Cedar Rapids Mayor Ron Corbett and Boone Mayor Pro Tem Steven Ray in the gubernatorial primary. She is the only Republican candidate who has gained the support of Iowa Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Joni Ernst, R-Iowa.

Grassley said he knows from experience that Reynolds — a former state senator and Clarke Country treasurer — is dedicated to serving Iowans.

“I’m glad to stand with the groundswell of grass-roots support for her campaign,” Grassley said in a statement. “It’s clear that Gov. Reynolds and Lt. Gov. [Adam] Gregg understand what it takes to be effective leaders, and that is to build support and energy from the bottom up.”

Grassley noted that their success can be measured in the more than 1,000 county GOP officials from all 99 counties who already support the Reynolds and Gregg duo.

“In office and on the campaign trail, their hands-on approach reflects what it takes to win,” Grassley said in the statement. “And I’m glad to support Gov. Reynolds and Lt. Gov. Gregg as they work to build on successes in another term leading our state. I hope Iowans will join me in supporting them.”

Ernst echoed Grassley’s praise. Having known Reynolds for more than 10 years, Ernst said, she can attest to Reynolds leadership, hard work, and compassion for her fellow Iowans.

“I’ve watched her rise from the county courthouse,” Ernst said in a statement. “To the state Senate, to lieutenant governor, and now to the Governor’s Office, and at each stop along the way, she has dug in, learned the details, and tried to find new ways to serve her fellow citizens.”

RELATED: Republican fundraiser focuses on Iowa youth

Ernst said Reynolds’ vision for Iowa’s future will ensure the opportunity for future generations to succeed in the state.

“I’m thrilled to call Kim Reynolds my friend and my governor and am going to do everything I can to ensure she remains in that role for many years to come,” Ernst said in the statement. “I will be supporting her and Lt. Gov. Gregg in 2018 and urge my fellow Iowans to do the same.”

As the 2018 election creeps closer, Reynolds said she is thrilled to have both senators’ support and looks forward to the gubernatorial race.

“Gov. Reynolds will work with all Iowans, from all parties, and from each corner of the state, to ensure that our future is as bright as ever and Build a Better Iowa,” Reynolds’ office said in a statement to the DI. “She looks forward to serving Iowans as their governor for many years to come.”