Future is now for Crowl

Alex Kroeze
Iowa infielder Kyle Crowl makes contact with the pitch during the game between Omaha-Iowa at Duane Banks Field on Tuesday, May 16, 2017. The Hawkeyes pull off another comeback win with three runs in the 8th inning and two runs in the 9th inning for the 9-8 victory. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

Hawkeye Kyle Crowl is doing everything he can this summer to turn last year’s success into a tradition.

By Jordan Zuniga

For Hawkeye baseball fans and rising sophomore Kyle Crowl, this past Iowa baseball season is one they won’t forget anytime soon.

Crowl may have looked on from the Iowa bench for the most part, but last season’s experience has him anxious to prove himself worthy of a spot in the lineup.

The main point is to help get his team back to the position of repeating last season’s success.

“Winning the Big Ten Championship is something I’ll remember for the rest of my life,” Crowl said. ”It’s one of those things you tell your kids about. My personal goal for next year is to get back to the Big Ten Championship and see how far we can go.”

Being a freshman on an extremely talented team last year meant limited opportunities for Crowl; he got only 33 at-bats and managed only 2 hits, one being a 2-run homer in his first college at-bat against South Florida on Feb. 18.

RELATED: Neustrom makes Cape Cod All-Star team

Because of his limited opportunities, Crowl has been doing everything he can with his summer-league team, the Quincy Gems.

So far, Crowl’s wish for more at-bats has come to fruition. Through 27 games, he has 108 plate appearances. So far, he has posted a .269 average with 4 homers and 15 RBIs.

Last season, Crowl split time between shortstop and third base; he expects next seson will be more of the same.

With guys such as Jake Adams and Mason McCoy finding new homes in the pros, Crowl knows it will be up to guys such as him to take their place.

“We have to replace a few guys who were vital parts of our lineup and pitching staff [last season],” Crowl said. “Our sophomore class hopes to leave a mark. We want to be the team that takes Iowa back to the College World Series and help lead our future into a team that can constantly get back to the College World Series and win numerous Big Ten Championships.”

His summer team plays in the Prospects Summer League, which is also the league in which fellow Hawkeye sophomore Justin Jenkins is spending his summer.

“I talk to him all the time,” Crowl said. “He’s one of my good buddies from Iowa. It’s been a really fun summer for both of us, so it’s fun to talk about how were doing.”

Both Hawkeyes will be with their summer teams until they return to Iowa City July 25 for the first of three games that Iowa is scheduled to host.

All three will take place at Banks Field starting at 7 p.m.; the other two games will be played July 27 and Aug. 10.

The games will be Iowa’s chance to prepare for its unique opportunity to represent the USA National Team both at the National Baseball Congress World Series and at the World University Games in Taipei, Taiwan.

“Getting to represent your country is an unbelievable feeling,” Crowl said. “Something words can’t even explain. It’s an honor of the highest form, obviously; our team goal is to win a gold medal for our country.”

For Crowl, its more than an opportunity to represent his country, it’s also a time to prove that he deserves a spot in Iowa’s starting lineup come next spring.