Hawkeye baseball to host three games this summer

FILE – UNLV bats during a game against Iowa at Duane Banks Field on Friday, March, 31, 2017. Iowa baseball will host the first of three summer games on July 25 against the Valley League All-Stars, who will be coached by Jim Van Scoyoc. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan, file)

The Iowa baseball team has announced it will host three games at Banks Field before heading to Taiwan for the 2017 World University Games from Aug. 19-30.

The opponents for the Hawkeyes will be the Iowa Valley League All-Stars, Red Top Sports (a member of the Iowa Valley League), and the Quad City Cardinals.

The first game will take place on July 25 against the Valley League All-Stars, who will be coached by Jim Van Scoyoc, a legend to say the least.

Iowa Hall of Famer Scoyoc, a coach at Norway High, led the baseball team to 12 state championships during 1972-90.

Just a little fun fact: the 2007 movie The Final Season was based on Scoyoc.

RELATED: Hawkeye baseball heads to 83rd National Baseball Congress World Series

The second game will be played on July 27 against Red Top, followed by the Quad City Cardinals on Aug. 10.

All three games have first pitch set for 7 p.m., with gates opening at 5:30 p.m. Tickets for each of the three games will be $5 for adults, $2 for children, and all proceeds will aid the trip to Taiwan.

Iowa will also compete as Team USA in the National Baseball Congress World Series from July 29-Aug. 6 in Wichita, Kansas.

The fun continues as the Hawkeyes head to Taipei, Taiwan, for the World University Games, in which the team will don the red, white and blue.