Iowa football lands more players on Watch List

Tessa Hursh
Iowa offensive lineman Brandon Scherff talks to fellow lineman Sean Welsh and center Austin Blythe during a timeout at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. Iowa defeated Pitt, 24-20. (The Daily Iowan/Tessa Hursh)

On July 13, the Football Writers Association of America announced that Iowa linemen Sean Welsh and James Daniels are on the 2017 Outland Trophy Award Watch List.

The Outland Trophy is presented to college football’s most outstanding inside lineman in the Division 1.

Four Hawkeyes have won the award, tying for the third most with Ohio State.

The most recent Iowa lineman to win the award is former Hawkeye first-round draft pick Brandon Scherff in 2014.

Welsh, a 6-3 native of Springboro, Ohio, started 12 games for Iowa in 2016 and earned second-team All-American by USA Today.

Daniels, a native of Warren, Ohio, started at center in 11 games during the 2016 season. The 6-4 center has plenty of awards under his belt including first-team sophomore All-America as well as second-team All-Big Ten.

On July 11, officials announced that Daniels was on the Rimington Trophy Watch List.

On Nov. 15, the semifinalists will be announced, then, on Nov. 21, the three finalists will be announced.

The Outland Trophy will be presented to the winner on Dec. 7 at the Home Depot College Football Awards from the National Football Foundation’s College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.