Hawkeye baseball heads to the 83rd National Baseball Congress World Series

The Iowa Baseball team showers Mason McCoy with water after his walk-off hit against Milwaukee on April 25th, 2017. McCoy singled with the bases loaded to break a 3-3 tie in the ninth inning. (The Daily Iowan/Nick Rohlman)

Iowa baseball head coach Rick Heller and the Hawkeye baseball team will represent Team USA at the 83rd National Baseball Congress World Series in Wichita, Kansas, on July 29-Aug. 6.

The event will take place at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.

This comes after Iowa’s groundbreaking season. Iowa won 39 games and made an appearance at the NCAA Houston Regional.

This will be the fifth appearance by a U.S. National Team in the Baseball Congress World Series, including 1995, 1999, and 2014 and as well as in 2016 by the Juco National Team.

Iowa will later head to Taipei, Taiwan, in August to represent Team USA at the World University Games.

“This will be an excellent opportunity for our team to compete before we head to Taiwan for the World University Games,” Heller said in a release. “We’re grateful that the NBC has awarded us this opportunity.”

— Jess Westendorf