Too Happy, yes, but less than happy

Kate Kasten will read from her newest book, *Too Happy*, the story of an ESL teacher and her students
Contributed, photo by Steve Eberhardt
Contributed, photo by Steve Eberhardt

By Levi Wright

On July 9, Iowa author Kate Kasten will read from her newest book, Too Happy, a tale of a teacher, a student, and some mystery, at Prairie Lights.

Prairie Lights, 15 S. Dubuque St., features both established and newer writers, and it hosts readings such as the one for Too Happy so that people can interact with others having similar interests.

“Readings bring writers and readers together,” said Kathleen Johnson, the Prairie Lights events coordinator. “It’s meaningful to both authors and readers to connect in person, especially when the readers already have connections with a book by that author that has resonated with them.”

Kasten started her writing career 21 years ago, in her 50s. Before that, she taught English as a second language for 25 years, giving her the experience that some of her books are based on.

“I always wanted to write, even as a child, because I love fiction so much,” Kasten said. “I was so self-critical, because I read a lot as a child. I would read from these famous writers like Mark Twain and so forth, and I would look at what I wrote as a kid, and I would compare it to these fantastic adults and say, ‘Oh, I can’t write.’ That held me back for many many years. Then one day I was just sitting there and said, ‘Kate you always wanted to write; just do it.’ ”

Too Happy is Kasten’s fifth book. She has also written short stories and cowrote a play called The Clue in the Old Bird Bath. She has written in numerous genres ranging from contemporary to thriller and suspense. Too Happy takes readers into the literary genre.

“I found this book inspirational,” wrote Sandra Helen in an online review of Too Happy on the Goodreads website. “In fact, I was moved to tears on two occasions. This book offers a window into world cultures from a university in Iowa. We could all learn a thing or two.”

Too Happy tells the story of ESL teacher Jane Frost, who struggles to find the balance between teacher and friend as one of her students begins to recede from the class. Jane struggles with what is right while encountering mysteries along the way.

“I taught English as a second language for 25 years, and that’s what it’s about,” Kasten said. “It’s about an ESL class and the teacher is having some students who are having conflict. So, of course, I brought to it my knowledge of teaching, but it’s fictional.”

There are obvious parallels that can be drawn between Kasten and Jane. Kasten has used her experience to shape a story with depth. Some of the characters are based on some of her past students. However, she makes sure to keep it fictional.

“I started thinking what happens when somebody feels like they found this wonderful thing, whatever it is; it can be anything, something that’s meaningful to them, then things go awry, and they feel like they’re going to lose their happiness,” Kasten said. “That’s kind of what I was interested in.”