Police find person of interest in homicide case

A person-of-interest was released by the Iowa City Police Department regarding the investigation of a suspected homicide, which occurred early Wednesday morning.

Authorities have identified a person of interest in the investigation of the Ricky Lillie homicide.

According to a press release on July 3, police identified Curtis Cortez Jones, 41, as a person of interest in the homicide after receiving numerous tips from the public. Jones was taken into custody on June 30 in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and charged with second-degree theft and a parole violation, the release said, and he remains in custody in the Keokuk County Jail.

The Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office has determined Lillie’s death was caused by gunshot wounds to the head, indicating his death was a homicide, the release said.

The Iowa City police continue to ask for the public’s help in finding more information about the case as the investigation goes on, the release said.

Police officers found Yellow Cab driver Lillie dead in the front seat of his cab in the early hours of June 28 near the Alexis Park Inn. Police had responded to a Yellow Cab dispatcher’s request to check on Lillie’s status.

Police released two photos of a person of interest on June 29, requesting the public’s assistance in identifying the man in the photos.

— Katelyn Weisbrod