Hawk-to-be shines in tourney

File photo (The Daily Iowan)

Future Hawkeyes Stephanie Herzog and Annalee Dannegger played in the Midwest Junior Championship Tournament, and Herzog took home the crown.

By Jordan Zuniga

On Tuesday, soon-to-be Iowa freshman Stephanie Herzog won the Midwest Junior Championship with a three-round score of 8-over 224.

The championship was played at Finkbine, with the first two rounds on Monday and the final round on Tuesday.

Herzog started off strong Monday, scoring a 74 (2-over) in the first round and 73 in the second, sending her straight to the leaderboard for the start of the final round.

She closed the tournament out shooting a 77 to take the title.

“Stephanie had three solid rounds and had some very good players chasing after her by the last day,” Hawkeye head golf coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “She battled through some tough swings on the last day and finished strong.”

Another incoming Hawkeye, Annalee Dannegger of Illinois, finished 15th, carding a three-round total of 249.

Herzog had a phenomenal high-school senior year, averaging the lowest scoring average among female golfers at 71.5 strokes.

In 11 out of the 13 tournaments, she either tied or won; she won with the Minnesota Ms. Golf Award for her stellar season.

The Hawkeyes hope that Herzog can take that success and transition into her college career.

“I played really well the first two rounds, and the last round was more of a struggle,” Herzog said in a release. “However, I kept myself focused and didn’t give up. It was great winning at Finkbine and was good experience to play there this week. It gave me some confidence knowing I can play well there. The course is in great shape, and I’m really excited to play it for the next four years.”