NBA flashes its awards to cap the season

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP
Kia NBA Most Valuable Player, Best Style & Game Winner Award winner, Russell Westbrook, poses in the press room at the 2017 NBA Awards at Basketball City at Pier 36 on Monday, June 26, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

The NBA hosted its first ever award show Monday night, recognizing different players in the league.

By Pete Ruden

Just like the NFL, the NBA gave out this past season’s honors in an awards show format.

The NBA Awards took place for the first time ever on Monday night and while Drake was a very solid host, the spotlight was on the recipients of the awards.

Rookie of the Year – Malcolm Brogdon, PG, Milwaukee Bucks

After being drafted 36th overall by the Bucks, Brogdon made his presence felt in just his first year in the league. As the lowest drafted player to ever win the award, the Virginia product averaged 10.2 points and 4.2 assists per game.

While Philadelphia’s Dario Saric and Joel Embiid also had great rookie seasons, Brogdon was able to help lead his team to a winning record.

If Embiid was able to suit up for more than 31 games, chances are he would’ve taken home the hardware.

However, Brogdon is deserving of the award after all he did for Milwaukee.

Sixth Man of the Year –Eric Gordon, SG, Houston Rockets

As the most deserving nominee, Gordon was the one to take home the award for the NBA’s best sixth man.

Without Gordon, there’s a good chance Houston wouldn’t have been able to accomplish what it did this past season.

The team had to surround superstar James Harden with players who complemented him, and no one did that better than Gordon.

The veteran averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 37.2 percent from behind the arc. He also drained 246 threes on the season, topped only by Harden, Klay Thompson, and Stephen Curry.

The Rockets ended up breaking the record for most three-pointers in a season, and Gordon was an integral part of that historic run.

Most Improved Player – Giannis Antetokounmpo, SF, Milwaukee Bucks

Winning the award in a landslide, Antetokounmpo had 66 more first place votes and 267 more total votes than second place finisher Nikola Jokic – and it was all justified.

The Greek Freak increased his production this season by averaging 6 more points per game, to go along with 1.1 more rebounds and 1.1 more assists.

He also became the first player in NBA history to finish in the top 20 in all five major stat categories – points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.

With teammate Malcolm Brogdon picking up the Rookie of the Year award, it will be interesting to see how the Bucks can keep improving next season.

Defensive Player of the Year – Draymond Green, PF, Golden State Warriors

Though it is absurd that Kawhi Leonard only placed third in this year’s voting, it just goes to show how good the top defenders in the league really are.

While Leonard and Rudy Gobert are monsters on that end of the court, Green took the award and never looked back, winning by over 160 votes.

Green can lock down every position on the court, which helps balance Golden State’s incredible offense and solid defense.

After finishing as the runner-up two years in a row, Green finally got what he deserved.

Sager Strong Award – Monty Williams, VP of Basketball Operations, San Antonio Spurs

The most emotional moment of the night came when Williams was honored with the Sager Strong Award.

The award’s namesake, Craig Sager, was an NBA sideline reporter whose love for everyone he crossed paths with had a profound impact on the league and everyone in it.

On December 15, 2016, Sager tragically passed away following his battle with acute myeloid leukemia.

Williams was given the award because of the courage he displayed after the death of his wife in a car accident.

In his eulogy for his wife Ingrid, Williams thanked everyone for their prayers, and also turned the attention towards the other family, saying they need prayer as well.

His faith, courage, and perseverance are traits that Sager would have been proud to see.

Most Valuable Player – Russell Westbrook, PG, Oklahoma City Thunder

It’s only fitting that Westbrook’s spectacular record-breaking season would culminate with him taking home the league’s most coveted individual award.

Westbrook was a man among boys all year, on his way to averaging a triple double and breaking Oscar Robertson’s record for most triple doubles in a season with 42.

Nominees James Harden and Kawhi Leonard also had phenomenal seasons.

Following a move to point guard, Harden led the league in assists and helped his team improve by an incredible 14 wins.

As a two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year winner and an elite scorer, Leonard has long been known as one of the best two-way players in the league.

However, what Westbrook did was nothing short of amazing, earning him the title of Most Valuable Player.