Disterhoft nominated for NCAA award

Iowa guard Ally Disterhoft huddles with teammates before a second round Women’s National Invitation Tournament against South Dakota in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, March 18, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Former Hawkeye women’s basketball player Ally Disterhoft has been nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year award.

By Jess Westendorf

Hawkeye women’s basketball player Ally Disterhoft might have graduated in May, but she is still gaining attention for her performance on the court last season.

The NCAA announced on Tuesday that Disterhoft is one of 543 female college athletes to go up for the Woman of the Year award.

The award recorded 229 nominees from Division 1 schools, 117 from Division 2, and 197 from Division 3.

The recently graduated Hawkeye left her mark on the women’s basketball program as well in the record book last season.

She scored 560 points during her senior year to snap the Hawkeyes 37-year-old career scoring record.

Disterhoft ended her Hawkeye career with 2,102 points, the most scored by a Hawkeye since Cindy Haugejorde who scored 2,059 in 1980.

During her career , she was named Iowa’s

Female Athlete of the Year for her performances in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

She is the sixth Hawkeye to earn the award two-consecutive years.

During her senior campaign, she added five honors to her previous eight awards. The Iowa City native became the ninth Hawkeye to receive Iowa’s Big Ten Medal of Honor as well as earn the Female Athlete of the Year in the same year (2016-2017).

Now that all 543 nominees have been announced, the conferences will start to narrow down the pool by selecting two conference nominees.

The Woman of the Year selection committee is made up of representatives from the NCAA, and their job will be to choose the top 30 nominees, 10 from each division.

In September, the top three honorees from each division will be announced, and on Oct. 22, the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year will be crowned at the award ceremony in Indianapolis.