Briefs

Authorities have accused an Iowa City man of domestic abuse.

Perkins Herron, 40, 337 Camden Road, was charged June 25 with domestic abuse/assault impeding air/blood flow.

According to the arrest affidavit, the female victim came to the Iowa City Police Department to report the abuse on Sunday morning. Officers noticed the victim had cuts and scratches around her neck, the affidavit said, and her eyes were red and swelling up.

The victim told officers, the affidavit said, she was arguing with Herron, her boyfriend of two years, Sunday morning about infidelity. The affidavit said she told officers Herron punched her in the face multiple times, kicked her, threw her to the ground, and strangled her, resulting in her being unable to breathe. All the victim’s injuries matched her story, the affidavit said.

The victim told officers, the affidavit said, that Herron told the victim she was “going to feel pain” and said, “I’m going to kill you.”

Officers went to Herron’s residence to speak to him, the affidavit said, and Herron told officers the pair did get into a physical fight, and he held her down to avoid being assaulted by the victim. Herron described the incident to officers as a “tussle,” the affidavit said, and he said he believes the victim’s injuries were caused by him restraining her. In addition, the affidavit said Herron denied hitting or strangling his girlfriend.

Herron has been taken into custody, the affidavit said.

Domestic abuse/assault impeding air/blood flow is a Class-D felony.

-Kayli Reese

A warrant is out for the arrest of a Cedar Rapids man on a burglary charge.

Dylan Powers, 18, was charged June 16 with first-degree burglary.

According to the arrest affidavit, Powers went to the victim’s apartment on June 16 at around 12:30 a.m. after leaving earlier following a fight. After knocking on the door and no one opening it, the affidavit said, Powers appeared to have went to the back of the apartment and attempted to enter. Then, the affidavit said, Powers went back to the front of the apartment and ripped the screen out before opening and entering the residence from the window.

After entering the apartment without permission, the affidavit said, Powers assaulted the victim, resulting in an injury above the victim’s left eye and multiple bruises. The victim did not call the police, the affidavit said, because Powers told her he would “beat the [explicit] out of me and break all my things.”

During a phone call with Powers, the affidavit said, he said the victim hit herself, says he was allowed into the apartment, and denies entering through a window.

A warrant is out for Powers’ arrest and a no-contact order has been requested, the affidavit said.

First-degree burglary is a Class-B felony.

-Kayli Reese