Soyer: Let’s discuss, but leave your hatred at the door

Violence and hatred do nothing to contribute to discussion of ideas.

Hannah Soyer

Assistant Professor of classics at the University of Iowa Sarah Bond received threats of violence over Twitter and email in response to a piece she wrote about classical architecture and race. Her piece, published on Hyperallergic.com, is titled “Why We Need to Start Seeing the Classical World in Color” and outlines how the ancient Greeks and Romans actually painted many of their white-marble statues to reflect accurate skin tones, paint that has since worn off. The people sending Bond threats? The alt-right. Not surprising, is it?

Of course, it goes without saying that anyone who publishes anything for the public to read must understand the (very real) possibility of criticism. It happens here at The Daily Iowan, and it certainly happens at a national level, where we have an administration working to vilify anyone who speaks out publicly against it, specifically the mdeia. What is thankfully less common, however, are threats of violence.

Interestingly enough, it isn’t just people expressing their opinions that draw criticism, it is also those reporting facts. Think, for example, of our current president criticizing any news outlet that reports on something he did that he doesn’t want known. Bond’s piece certainly asserts her opinion: “The equation of white marble with beauty is not an inherent truth of the universe; it’s a dangerous construct that continues to influence white

supremacist ideas today,” as the subhead reads (“dangerous” being the key word here). However, the main basis of this argument, that the ancient Greeks and Romans did not, in fact, build sculptures out of white marble as a testimony to white being the epitome of beauty, is grounded on solid research and facts.

There is always room for healthy discussion and criticism, especially in the academic sphere. Without it, we would do no learning, and no new ideas or discoveries would be promoted. However, derogatory calls from white supremacists to harass Bond are not productive in the regard. In fact, calls to “Protect your heritage” and “Fash the City” from nationalist and fascist group Identity Europa are promoting fear and racism.

Arguments made through hate and anger happen on both sides of the political spectrum. I’m not arguing this. I will argue, however, that such hatred is futile and nonproductive. These sorts of arguments often fail to understand the main point being made by the other side, and in their response, completely miss the mark. No discussion is being furthered, no new ideas being brought to light. Instead, the loathing of others we think are threatening our existence only grows.

Engaging in a civilized conversation with someone you disagree with isn’t easy. It’s especially difficult in our current political climate, in which it can be tempting to think that whoever voted differently from you does not believe in your basic human rights. But if we want to try to climb out of the deep pit we are in, this is was what will have to happen. We will get nowhere with hatred and violence, no matter what side it is coming from.