Iowa City Mayor, Jim Throgmorton, opens up the floor for discussion on several issues on Tuesday, June 20, 2017. A few of the items on the agenda ranged from a Juneteenth National Freedom Day and zoning issues. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa City City Council moves on cardboard ban

The Iowa City City Council passed two considerations amending the current City Code on Tuesday evening.

By Katelyn Weisbrod

Cardboard ban

The council voted 6-0 in favor of banning cardboard disposal in the Iowa City Landfill in the first of three considerations on the ban. Councilor Kingsley Botchway was not able to attend the meeting.

The ban would fulfill the last of seven initiatives to minimize waste in the city. Other initiatives include recycling in apartment complexes, an electronic waste ban, and curbside compost pickup.

Jen Jordan, the city resource management superintendent, said the ban would have a “significant impact on the amount of waste going into the landfill.”

Jordan said there would be spotters at the landfill to monitor trucks as they come in for cardboard. A fine would be imposed on the load as it comes in, so haulers will be in part responsible for monitoring curbside bins for cardboard.

“It will be a struggle, it will take a lot of education and outreach, but I think we can do it,” Jordan said.

Mayor Jim Throgmorton and Councilor Rockne Cole raised questions about pizza boxes and whether they are included in the ban.

Jordan said only clean cardboard may be recycled, so cheesy or greasy pizza boxes cannot be recycled. However, she said, the top may be torn off and recycled separately, and the dirty box may be composted in its entirety.

Fireworks amendment

The council voted 6-0 on the final consideration to amend portions of the city’s fireworks ordinance.

The revision allows for the sale of newly legal fireworks, revises the city’s definition of fireworks, and increases some penalties for the use of illegal fireworks within city limits, according to the meeting agenda.

The change was made after former Gov. Terry Branstad signed Senate File 489 allowing consumer fireworks to be sold and used in Iowa.