Field-hockey Hawks go national

Four Hawkeyes have been selected to participate in the USA Developmental Squad National Camp.
Iowa forward Mallory Lefkowitz and Miami back Ali Froede go after the ball at Grant Field on Sunday, Oct. 12, 2014. Iowa defeated Miami, 3-1. (File photo)

USA Field Hockey announced that Iowa juniors Mallory Lefkowitz and Melissa Progar, along with sophomore Makenna Grewe and former Hawkeye Dani Hameon, were selected to attend the Developmental Squad National Camp.

The camp began June 17 and will run through Tuesday at Spooky Nook Sports in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

The camp showcases the best college and post-college field-hockey players in the USA.

Last spring, athletes had to try out and train at regional USA Field Hockey High Performance sites all over the country to try to gain positions on the roster.

There will be eight teams of field-hockey players competing against one another for a chance to earn the national champion title and for a chance to be selected to the U.S. Women’s National Developmental Squad or U.S. U-21 Women’s National Team.

Lefkowitz was the first Hawkeye selected. She started every game in the 2016 season and tallied 1 goal and 3 assists for 5 points.

Progar ranked second in the Big Ten after recording a team-high 12 assists. Grewe’s season was cut short by an injury. In six games, she scored 2 goals and recorded 3 assists for 7 points.

Hameon played for Iowa from 2011-14 and was a 2013 Division I Third Team All-American as well as a two-time All- Big Ten honoree.

She is no stranger to the camp. This year Hameon will fight to keep her spot on the U.S. Women’s National Developmental Squad and working toward a spot on the U.S. Women’s National Team.

— Jess Westendorf