Hawkeye Track & Field earns May Student-Athletes of Month

Iowa’s Aaron Mallet celebrates after the 110 hurdles at Drake Stadium during the Drake Relays on Saturday, April 29, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Aaron Mallett and freshman Laulauga Tausaga of the men’s and women’s track and field teams are the May Student-Athletes of the Month.

Senior Mallett and freshman Tausaga were awarded May’s male and female student-athletes of the month, announced Tuesday by the Iowa Student-Athlete Academic Services.

This honor recognizes student-athletes who not only shine in their sport but also in the classroom.

Mallett, a sport and recreation management major, won his third-straight Big Ten Championship in the 110-meter hurdles on May 14. He set a school-record with a 13.24 time and became the sixth Hawkeye in history to win three Big Ten titles.

Tausaga is the first female discus thrower in history to win a Big Ten Championship with a record 55 meters. The communications major became the second Hawkeye to throw in the NCAA finals. To top it off, she currently holds six of the top 12 longest throws in the world in the U20 division for 2017.

-Jess Westendorf