Beathard signs multi-year contract with the 49ers

AP
San Francisco 49ers quarterback C.J. Beathard throws during the team’s organized team activity at its NFL football training facility in Santa Clara, Calif., Wednesday, May 31, 2017. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

On Tuesday, the San Francisco 49ers announced that former Hawkeye quarterback C.J. Beathard signed a four-year rookie contract.

Beathard, who was drafted in the third round as the 104th pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, is now one of nine rookies under contract with the 49ers.

The specifics of his contract have not been released, but online sources estimate that the deal could be worth more than $3 million, not including workout and roster bonuses.

The Franklin, Tennessee, native was the first Hawkeye quarterback drafted since Ricky Stanzi in 2011 and is one of five Hawkeyes to win 20 games as a starting quarterback.

During the last four seasons, Beathard helped lead the Hawkeyes to a 35-18 record with four-straight bowl games, including the 2016 Rose Bowl game.

The quarterback now joins longtime friend and Iowa teammate George Kittle, who signed with San Francisco in May for a four-year rookie contract.

-Jess Westendorf