Bye bye Brewlab

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Alex
Brewlab’s former location as seen from the outside on July 12, 2017. Brewlab closed it’s doors unexpectedly on Thursday, June 8. (The Daily Iowan/James Year)

by Hannah Webster

It has only been a few days since Iowa City Brewlab, 505 E. Washington St., closed its doors for good June 8.

A post on the Brewlab’s Facebook page May 12 said the business suffered because of a lack of investors and declining revenue. The business was ultimately able to stay open for a month longer than anticipated.

On June 7 the Iowa City Brewlab turned to its Facebook and Twitter accounts to announce that the brewery’s run would officially come to an end June 8.

Brewlab posted a promising update to its Facebook page May 14 after talks of shutting down forever, saying “Thank you to everyone for your support of the Brewlab; Nathan, myself, and all the good Brewlab employees we’ve had over the last year and a half! The Brewlab will survive! Hey! Hey!”

The Daily Iowan reported in October 2015 that Drew and Nathan Letcher, the owners of Brewlab, came to Iowa City with their business that year, becoming the only brewery in town. The Brewlab served beer, ciders, kombucha, and small food plates to customers.

Many Iowa City natives and visitors shared their final thoughts and said their goodbyes through the June 7 Facebook post’s comments section.

Madonna Smith wrote, “One of my favorite places in town. You will be missed!”

Robert Lyst left some advice for a potential next move: “If you come to Des Moines, you would do far better here. I would do all I can to help.”

The Brewlab page responded to the commenters’ inquiries about furniture that the equipment and furniture would remain with the building’s landlords.

Brewlab’s closing comes after a competing brewery, Big Grove Brewery, opened in March at 1225 S. Gilbert St.