Iowa takes down Nebraska, loses to Minnesota in Big Ten Tournament

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Alex Kroeze
Iowa outfielder Chris Whelan hits the pitch during the first round of the Big Ten Tournament between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins in Bloomington, Indiana on Thursday, May 25, 2017. The game was back and forth all the way until the end with the Hawkeyes winning 9-8. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

After defeating Maryland on May 25 in Bloomington, Indiana — the only ranked Big Ten team when the season started, Iowa continued its impressive run in the conference tournament with a 2-0 victory over No. 1 seed Nebraska on May 26.

The win marked the third time the Hawkeyes has bested the Cornhuskers this season; they were the only team to win a series against Nebraska in the Big Ten.

Ryan Erickson came through in a big way for Iowa, tossing 7.2 scoreless innings and recording a career-high 7 strikeouts.

“Everything felt good [May 25],” Erickson said in a release. “It was one of those days, it was awesome. After the third inning, I felt like I started to get going. I tried to put everything out on the line.”

Chris Whelan also continued his hot streak in Bloomington, launching a home run in the third inning. After going 3-for-4 with a homer against Maryland, Whelan followed that performance with another spectacular showing, going 2-for-3 with the home run.

However, the winning streak came to an end when Minnesota topped Iowa, 9-3, in the semifinal game on May 27.

The pitching from the Gophers was superb; starting pitcher Reggie Meyer held the Hawkeye offense in check, allowing just 4 hits.

Mason McCoy got things off to a good start with a 2-run shot in the first inning to give the Hawkeyes a 2-1 lead.

The lead didn’t last for long. Minnesota scored a combined 7 runs in the third and fourth innings.

The offense was unable to get it going at the plate – a rare sight for this Iowa team.

After spectacular regular seasons, Robert Neustrom and Big Ten Player of the Year Jake Adams were not been able to get into a groove at the plate, going just 2-for-23 during the tournament.

“Offensively, we haven’t swung it since we’ve been here,” head coach Rick Heller said in a release. “We scored enough to win the first game, but for two games in a row, we haven’t been good, and the middle of our lineup isn’t getting it done. They need to pick it up.”

Adams and Neustrom, along with the rest of the Hawkeye team, will have the chance to turn it around in an elimination game against Minnesota at 4 p.m. CDT.

— by Pete Ruden