Shivers selected as new VP for Student Life

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily Smith
Vice President for Student Life candidate Melissa Shivers poses for a portrait on Monday, May 1, 2017. Shivers is one of four candidates for the upcoming VP for Student Life position. (The Daily Iowan/Lily Smith)

After a semester-long search for a new vice president for Student Life, the University of Iowa has named its newest addition to the Hawkeye family.

The UI announced in a press release this morning that Melissa Shivers, who currently serves as the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students at the University of Tennessee—Knoxville, has been selected to lead the UI Division of Student Life. She will begin June 30 with a yearly salary of $280,000.

Shivers replaces Tom Rocklin, the current Vice President for Student Life. Rocklin has served in this position since 2010 and will retire in July after working at the UI in various capacities for more than 30 years, according to a press release.

The vice president for Student Life advises administrators on policies and practices affecting the student body, according to the vice president for Student Life search website. The Division of Student Life encompasses university operations that include Housing and Dining, Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator, the four cultural centers, Student Disability Services, Office of the Dean of Students, and Student Health and Wellness.

“I am humbled by this opportunity to serve the University of Iowa in this collaborative role to support student success and be part of the Hawkeye family,” Shivers said in the press release. “I look forward to immersing myself in the culture and understanding the unique values and ideals that make the UI a special place for all students to learn and grow. I am eager to begin listening and connecting with students, staff, and faculty.”

Rocklin announced his intent to retire in December 2016. Kenneth Brown, professor and associate dean of Undergraduate Programs in the Tippie College of Business, and Laura McLeran, senior adviser to the president and associate vice president for External Relations, co-chaired the search for Rocklin’s replacement.

“We are especially proud of the large role played by students on the search committee,” Brown said in the press release. “Five of the committee’s 20 members were UI students who made invaluable contributions to the committee’s final recommendation.”

In addition to her role at the UTK, Shivers brings 20 years of experience in higher-education positions at several Georgia universities to the job.

“Dr. Shivers has a long history making sure everything she and her team does is focused on having a positive impact on students and their success,” UI President Bruce Harreld said in the press release regarding his selection of Shivers after reviewing the search committee’s recommendation. “She will be an immediate and tremendous asset for the university.”

Candidates for vice president for Student Life, including Shivers, visited the UI in a series of public forums held May 1-4 to give presentations to the UI community and answer questions from those in attendance.

RELATED: VP for Student Life hopefuls lay out visions

Shivers spoke with The Daily Iowan about the opportunity to lead the Division of Student Life on May 4 and said she would love to work with Harreld and listen to students and staff to understand the issues they believe are important.

“The opportunity at the University of Iowa to continue focusing on student health and safety, also leadership development and multicultural competencies, all really spoke to me as a higher-[education] practitioner,” she said. “I believe that the work continues to be important, and I appreciate the emphasis placed on those efforts at the University of Iowa, as they are all personal values to me.”