Get involved with the arts this summer

By Lily Goodman

There’s something to be said about volunteer work, and that something is that it feels great–ask anyone who has volunteered their time before. More times than not, they will have nothing but good things to say about it, because to do something out of the goodness of one’s heart in order to benefit a virtuous cause is often life’s ultimate reward.

So, the Daily Iowan’s Arts and Culture staff has put together a list of some artsy summer volunteer opportunities happening right here in Iowa City. However, keep in mind, this list is by no means comprehensive—but it’s a good place to start.

Girls Rock! Iowa City

A community organization dedicated to fostering girls’ creative expression, positive self-esteem, and community awareness through rock music, Girls Rock! Iowa City is always looking for volunteers to help run their one-week summer camp—and you don’t even have to know how to play an instrument.

Roles for volunteers range anywhere from being a camp counselor (no music experience required) to a music instructor to a band coach. Must be 18 years of age and have some availability the week of June 26 – 30. Both part and fulltime volunteer positions available.

Check out the volunteer application at: http://www.girlsrockiowacity.org

Public Space One

A staple of the Iowa City community, Public Space One is an artist-run, nonprofit arts organization that aims to provide an independent, innovative, and inclusive space for making and presenting art—and they always need support.

All of PS1’s exhibitions, performances, happenings, and workshops are run by sustaining members who volunteer their time in exchange for a discounted $17/month membership. A sustaining membership allows volunteers free, open studio time within the facility, a 10% discount on workshops by the Iowa City Press Co-op, and an invitation to the annual thank you event. Plus, all contributions are tax-deductible!

If you are interested in becoming a sustainable member at Public Space One, contact their volunteer listserv at: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ps1volunteer

FilmScene

FilmScene relies heavily on their volunteer ushers to help take tickets, answer patron questions, and prepare their theater during quick turnarounds, and as a 365 days a year nonprofit arts organization, there are more than an abundance of other opportunities to get involved. Any amount of time helps and has proved to provide a positive impact on one of Iowa City’s most beloved businesses.

If you are interested in volunteering at FilmScene, email Kate at: [email protected]

Riverside Theater

A nonprofit, professional theater, Riverside is always looking for volunteers to help out with a multitude of jobs. From being an usher (who also have the awesome opportunity of seeing performances for free), a clerical worker, or a seamstress for costumes, there is something for everyone.

Riverside takes the time to train all of its volunteers for their different positions, and encourages anyone and everyone to stop in and see what they can do to help out.

Contact Patron Services Manager, Nan Martin if you are interested in getting involved at: [email protected]

Honorable Mentions

Volunteer at the Iowa City Public Library at: [email protected]

Volunteer at The Crowded Closet at: crowdedcloset.volunteer@gmail.com

Volunteer at Iowa Children’s Museum at: www.theicm.org