Wiegand remains always there

Alex Kroeze
Iowa pitcher Elizabeth Wiegand throws towards home plate during the game between Iowa/Northwestern at Pearl Field on Sunday, May 7, 2017. On Iowa’s senior day they fell to the Wildcat’s 5-2. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

Iowa softball senior Elizabeth Wiegand has not been at the top of the pitching rotation this season, but her contributions to the team have not gone unnoticed.

Sunday was Senior Day for the team, and Wiegand had the opportunity to come into the circle and play her typical role as a relief pitcher.
The Missouri native has had numerous starts all season, but her primary role has been coming in relief for either freshman Allison Doocy or senior Shayla Starkenburg.

Wiegand did not begin her softball career in Iowa City. She played for Tennessee-Martin for her freshman and sophomore years before transferring to Iowa.

“Coach Looper told me about the program and seeing the campus, and learning about the fans, and how dedicated everyone is to Hawkeye softball, really sold me,” Wiegand said on Senior Day.

In her junior season, she had 73 strikeouts and three shutouts, and she led the team with a 7-14 record. For Wiegand and the rest of the seniors, this weekend was an emotional and bittersweet time.

“It’s a little bittersweet, good thing our season’s not over, so it’s not as sad as it could be, but I’m definitely going to miss playing on Pearl Field,” senior Katilyn Mullarkey said.

Even though the Hawkeyes were not able to come away with a win, their journey will continue on in the Big Ten Tournament, but their seeding has yet to be determined.

A common theme for the Hawkeyes this season was constant improvement and growth as a team. They refused to stay the same and established bonds because of that.

“Getting to know them as human beings has been one of the best highlights as their coach,” Marla Looper said. “I like that they are all different and they are all individuals. We are all individuals, and the moment we start mimicking people, the less we are ourselves. I want them to be themselves, and that’s what I’ll take from this point on.”

In her final game at Pearl Field, Wiegand threw 2 strikeouts in 4 innings on the mound and allowed 2 runs, coming out from the bullpen as usual. Unfortunately, Iowa fell to Northwestern, 5-2. Even in defeat, all Looper had was praise for her seniors and how they continue to lead her team.

“The biggest thing is they bought in to our pillars, they bought in to our program and our system,” Looper said. “They continue to help transition that to the next class, and the next class, and the next class, and that’s why our program is going to catapult because of that.”

Even though the season has not yet come to an end, Wiegand and the other seniors have gained some perspective and are aware that their time spent in a Hawkeye softball uniform was not only worth it, but priceless. The friendships will not soon be forgotten.

“They’re my best friends,” Wiegand said. “I was meant to come here because I’m closer to these girls than almost all the people I have known my whole life.”