Coltrain: Bye, Bill Nye

Mark Schierbecker

Bill Nye strikes-out in the first season of “Bill Nye Saves the World,” his new Netflix series. Nye says the series is based on the concept of “discussing controversial subjects in science.”

The series explores subjects such as sexuality, gender, “new-age” medicine, and artificial intelligence. He has “discussions” on these topics for about 10 minutes in each show.

I use quotations around discussions because of how one-sided they are. People chosen for the discussion who usually all agreed with what he was saying and without a word present, it made Nye’s argument much weaker.

For example, in the second episode, Nye discussed crystal therapy, which is the use of crystals to “heal” oneself. This type of therapy is commonly used to take away pain and relieve stress.

Nye holds a discussion with his “expert panel,” which consists of filmmaker Donald Schultz, science journalist Cara Santa Maria, and Dr. Chris Beedie, who specializes in the placebo effect in sports.

Nye starts the discussion by saying alternative medicine works only because of the placebo effect. Schultz starts off by saying you can’t discount sound therapy as a real form of medicine. He talks about ultrasounds use to break apart kidney stones. He’s interrupted by Santa Maria saying, “But that’s not sound. That’s ultrasound.”

Schultz says while you can’t hear the sound, it still is sound.

Throughout the whole discussion, Schultz seemed to be a poor example of the word that supported alternative medicine. While Schultz was well-informed, getting someone who was an expert in the field would have made the debate less biased. The two other panelists, who opposed alternative medicine, were far more credited than Schultz.

Despite that, Schultz does make one very solid point that seems to end the debate. He points out that all of our computers run because of crystals, and that means we can’t say crystals have no effect. He says, “Just because we don’t understand something yet, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.”

Even Beedie points out that while it might not be the crystals themselves, it could be the placebo effect. This was a very valid point that supported Schultzs’ ideology of crystal therapy.

Schultz tries to point out benefits crystal beds have had in Sedona, but he is interrupted by Nye. However, Nye also belittles Schultz’s valid argument by saying in a mock stoner voice, “I’ve been to Sedona. Dude I’m, like, picking up what you’re putting down, and I’m not seeing it.”

He then immediately cuts to his thank-yous and moves onto his next segment.

This debate, similar to ones in other episodes, are biased and very possibly planned. I felt they were propaganda, trying to turn people against alternative medicine. While one does need to be wary of alternative medicine, you cannot discount that some forms of alternative medicine can work.

While Nye’s new show is biased for climate change, we need to take into account that for science to be taken seriously, it cannot be as one-sided as Nye’s show is. He has always been in the forefront of the climate-change battle, being a speaker at the “March for Science,” and he has the potential to do a lot of good with his authority. However, this show discredits him in many ways.