Men’s golf rallies, ends up fourth

John Theulen
Iowa golfer Carson Schaake tees off during the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational on Saturday, April 28, 2015. Iowa State won the meet, and Iowa came in second. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

The Iowa men’s golf team overcame a rough start to finish tied for fourth in the Big Ten Championships at the Baltimore Country Club over this past weekend.

The Hawkeyes shot a combined three-round score of 858 (18-over), tied with Purdue and Penn State. Illinois ran away with the tournament, finishing with a score of 829 (11-under), 16 strokes better than Northwestern, which finished second.
For Iowa, the tournament got off to a rough start, finishing in ninth place after the first day, but battled April 29 and Sunday to finish fourth.

The top finishers for the Hawkeyes were freshmen Jack Simpson and Matthew Walker. Simpson finished tied for 16th with a three-round score of 214 (4-over, 74, 68, 72). All three of Simpson’s rounds were better than his previous career best of 75. Walker finished with a score of 215 and tied for ninth.

The Schaake brothers got off to a rough first two rounds, but each bounced back on Sunday to finish with a respectable score. Senior Carson Schaake finished at 219 to finish tied for 33rd, and freshman Alex Schaake finished at 218 to finish in a tie for 29th.

Senior Raymond Knoll finished in the middle of the pack, shooting a 218 to also finish in a tie for 29th.

With the conclusion of the Big Ten Championships, the Iowa men’s golf team will have to wait and see if the selection committee deems it good enough for NCAA regional competition.

— by Jordan Zuniga