Slew of late runs lifts Hawkeye baseball

Iowa first basemen Jake Adams bats against Grand View at Banks Field on Tuesday. The Hawkeyes defeated the Vikings, 6-5. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Both Iowa (27-15) and Penn State (14-29) struggled to find the scoreboard early at Banks Field on Apri 29, but a big seventh inning gave Iowa a 9-1 win and its first Big-Ten-series sweep since 2015.

Despite undesirable weather, Iowa managed to play all three games against Penn State in fewer than 30 hours.

“It was kind of play whenever they say we’re going to play, and you got to be ready to go out and get it done,” Hawkeye Matt Hoeg said.

Jake Adams drilled his 16th home run of the season in the bottom of the seventh inning to tie the game.

Following that 440-foot dinger, Robert Neustrom doubled, and Penn State walked Tyler Cropley and Luke Farley to load the bases.

Hoeg connected on single to left, and a fielding error led to 3 Hawkeye runs, giving Iowa its first lead of the game, 4-1.

Iowa added 5 more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Mason McCoy scuffled himself into a pickle, but the Penn State first basemen decided to throw to third base and get Mitchell Boe instead. His errant throw allowed Boe to score.

McCoy scored after Adams hit a double to left, and then Adams scored on Neustrom’s single through the left side.

Cropley added salt in the wound with a 2-run home run, putting Iowa up by 8 runs.

Through four innings, both teams combined for 10 hits. Neither team could capitalize until the fifth, when Penn State’s Nick Riotto singled to right field, driving in Christian Helsel from second.

Elijah Wood got the start for the Hawkeyes, pitching 3.1 innings, scattering 7 hits and holding the Nittany Lions scoreless.

— Adam Hensley