Salata lauds UI prep for career

‘Life with Phil’ talk features Sheri Salata and her view on philanthropy.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
Sheri Salata, former executive producer of the Oprah Winfrey Show, speaks at the Pomerantz Center on Thursday, April 27. Salata is a graduate of the UI, speaking for Life with Phil. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

By Jason Estrada

University of Iowa alumna Sheri Salata inspired students during a “‘Life with Phil” talk at the Pomerant Center on Thursday, recountiing her time at the Tippie College of Business.

“There was this delicate campus and the Sun hits the river just right, and there was something that looked mystical and maybe a little magical to me,” she said. “And I thought, that was a place I could call home.”

Students were given the opportunity to learn more about Salata, the former president of Harper Studios and the Oprah Winfrey Network and former executive producer of the “Oprah Winfrey Show.”

Before Salata attended the UI, she said, her goal was to find a great business occupation and was swept away after reading the school’s marketing brochure.

Her connection to the Oprah Winfrey Show occurred when Salata turned 35. Before becoming a member of Harper Studios, she said, she struggled, taking on many jobs, including becoming a 7/11 store manager, a toy-store manager, and a typist at a title company. She said she was promoted to higher positions for each job but wasn’t happy.

“I had a lot of those experiences, and I had my first big break by getting hired by my high-school friend I went to college with,” she said. “Her ex-fiancé hired me as his secretary at an advertising agency in Chicago.”

She learned how to produce radio and television commercials and felt she was able to apply her business skills with the agency. Then, she applied as a promo producer at the “Oprah Winfrey Show,” but was rejected.

“I felt humiliated and unlike many people in this room, I would have not gone back a second time,” she said.

As time went by, Salata wanted to give up because she was at a dead end; however, she received a message from the “Oprah Winfrey Show” to freelance for a commercial.

Although Salata said she wouldn’t go back, she went against her word and accepted the opportunity.

“I did keep saying ‘yes,’ and I think it turned out to be one of the greatest decisions of my life that I want to pass out to you,” she said.

Global Ambassador Rita Guzmán of the business school said she wished everyone had the opportunity to meet Salata and her message to keep going was inspiring.

“She reiterates that you have to keep going because you never know when that opportunity is going to hit you,” she said.

Courtney Blind, a Williams Development fellow of the UI Foundation, said the message she shared they would take away for life.

“I think she is really a wonderful example of what Iowa graduates have gone out in this world and have done,” she said.