Baseball hears opportunity knocking

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Iowa’s Nick Gallagher pitches during the Iowa-Rutgers baseball game at Duane Banks Stadium on Friday, April 21, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Scarlet Knights, 8-2. (The Daily Iowan/Lily Smith)

By Pete Ruden

Desmond King is going to have a busy weekend. While anxiously waiting to hear his name called in the NFL Draft, the 2015 Thorpe Award winner will also throw out the first pitch before the second game of Iowa baseball’s double-header today against Penn State at Banks Field.The upcoming weekend will be a big one for the Hawkeye baseball team; it battles the Nittany Lions in a pivotal three-game series.

The Hawkeyes are still trying to make sure they can clinch a spot in the Big Ten Tournament this year after making the championship game last season.

Currently sitting at seventh in the Big Ten, Iowa will have plenty of chances to win games and move up the standings against the upcoming foes.

After Penn State, Iowa has weekend series remaining against Michigan State, Ohio State, and Illinois. Ohio State, Illinois, and Penn State make up the bottom three teams in the conference, while Michigan State sits at ninth.

Even though it was close, the Hawkeyes are coming off of a win against Milwaukee. After suffering two-straight losses at the hands of Rutgers, the win helped Iowa take some big steps in closing out the season on a high note.

“Better to get a win than ending it this past Sunday,” said shortstop Mason McCoy, who had the walk-off single to beat the Panthers. “I think our pitchers made tremendous strides this game … I think a lot of guys out here [Tuesday] did that, so I think that’s going to be a big step.”

McCoy was not wrong about the pitching. After giving up a season-high 13 runs the previous game, the staff battled back in a big way to shut Milwaukee down in the final innings.

Drake Robison came up huge. The senior right-hander tossed hitless eighth and ninth innings, while striking out 4 to preserve the score and allow the dramatics to happen in the bottom of the ninth.

If the Hawkeye pitching staff carries that production into this weekend, they’ll be doing themselves, and Iowa, a big favor.

“I think after a close win like this, we should come out with a lot more confidence,” Robison said. “Should be a little loose this weekend and hopefully get three wins.”

The pitching staff’s performing well as a unit could definitely happen.

In addition to the lights-out showing at the end of the Milwaukee game, Penn State is not a sound hitting team.

The Nittany Lions are hitting just .233 as a team with one player in the lineup over .300. Jordan Bowersox is leading the charge for them, with a .333 average.

Iowa also has Nick Gallagher taking the mound today, which is almost sure to give Iowa a boost. He has been on a roll lately, posting a 3-0 record with a 1.59 ERA since March 24.

“I hope [Tuesday’s game] helps the pitchers who have been struggling a little bit that actually did a pretty good job, and as a staff, get some pride going again,” head coach Rick Heller said.