Homicide victim was shot

Joseph Cress
Iowa City police respond to a “suspicious death” at 518 South Capitol Street in Iowa City on Sunday, April 23, 2017. According to the press release when officers arrived a deceased male subject was found. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The victim of a homicide died from a gunshot wound, preliminary autopsy results show.

The autopsy was conducted by the Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office, and results were relayed in a press release from the Iowa City police on Wednesday.Iowa City resident Jonathan Wieseler, 34, was found dead on April 23 at 11:11 a.m. at Lederman Bail Bond, 518 S. Capitol St., according to a press release from the Iowa City police.

The department’s Investigations Unit is treating the death as a homicide. The latest press release stated police believe the incident was isolated. The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations and the FBI are assisting the Iowa City police with the case.

Officers are continuing to pursue all leads.

Lederman Bail Bonds officials said they currently have no comment about the case but are developing one.

Iowa City police continue to seek the public’s assistance and encourage anyone with information regarding the incident, particularly between the hours of 10 p.m. April 22 and 3 a.m., April 23, to contact Investigator Mike Smithey at 319-356-5452.

Iowa City Area CrimeStoppers will offer a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of a suspect.

— by Katelyn Weisbrod