Guest Opinion: Join us to celebrate Phil at the UI all this week

Each year, thousands of University of Iowa alumni and friends give back to Iowa, and their donations help make our university remarkable.

That’s why we host our annual philanthropy events — to honor those who give and celebrate the effect donors have on our campus and our people. I hope you enjoy celebrating Phil with us this week.

Today, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., be sure to stop by the T. Anne Cleary Walkway for the Faces of Phil event. You can sign a postcard for a donor, take a Polaroid picture, and enjoy a delicious lunch.I hope you also will join us for the annual Life With Phil talk at 3:30 p.m. Thursday C20 Pomerantz Center. This year, UI alumna and media powerhouse Sheri Salata will be our guest speaker. The former executive producer of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and former president of Harpo Studios and the Oprah Winfrey Network will join me for a Q&A about her career, her philanthropic passions, and her new venture.

Salata, who has been named one of Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People in Business and one of the Hollywood Reporter’s Women in Entertainment Power 100, earned a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of Iowa in 1980. We’re delighted to welcome her back to campus.

Despite her busy schedule, she remains a dedicated and engaged alumna — she’s active on the Tippie Advisory Board, has spoken on campus, and has supported diversity and women’s leadership initiatives in the UI Tippie College of Business. Salata speaks very thoughtfully about what it means to live a meaning-filled and purposeful life. And those who attend her talk also will learn about her favorite Iowa memories, her philanthropic passions, and her fascinating professional journey.

Please join us to celebrate all things Phil.

— Lynette Marshall

President and CEO University of Iowa Foundation