Harreld to students: Appreciate Phil now, be Phil later

Vladimir Kulikov

In the past year, I have been stirred by incredible performances in the new Hancher Auditorium and Voxman Music Building, amazed by beautiful art surfacing from the gifted abilities of our teachers and students in the new Visual Arts Building, touched and impressed by the quality of care in the new University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, thrilled by a strong WNIT tournament showing by our women’s basketball team, fascinated by new discoveries emerging from research labs all across campus, inspired by the talent and thoughtfulness of students I meet and work with every day, and much more.

In all these aspects of my — and your — life as a University of Iowa community member, philanthropy has played a major role. As we celebrate the sixth-annual Phil’s Week, we once again set aside time to celebrate and thank those who have helped make our UI experience the best it can be. Let us all reflect on the importance of their generosity in our personal lives.

It’s no secret that public universities such as the UI face growing challenges and shifts in our resources. Increasingly, private giving plays a crucial role in meeting our aspirations and achieving our excellence. As UI students, you all benefit from the vision, goodwill, and resources of the people of our state, but you also are able to enjoy a world-class education thanks to the vision, goodwill, and resources of those who give back to the university through the philanthropic spirit.

Phil’s Week is about appreciating and thanking those who have made all we do at the UI possible. It’s also about reflecting on the general significance of philanthropy in a life worth living. So students, as you finish your UI studies and go on to get a job or further your education, we want you to remember how much philanthropy has played a part in shaping your success here at Iowa. We also hope that you turn that reflection into action and that you not only remember the benefits of philanthropy but also participate in the world of Phil. During Phil’s Week, let’s all stop for a moment to thank Phil and invite the spirit of generosity into the rest of our lives.

— J. Bruce Harreld

University of Iowa President